FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live streaming on YouTube and copyright

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vigen Kachikean
Live streaming on YouTube and copyright
on Jun 16, 2016 at 2:37:38 am

I am starting Live Streaming service and i'm streaming to YouTube Live. Does anyone know copyright issues if i live stream dancing music at parties?

Vigen Kachikean
Northridge Filmworks
Northridge, CA

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Live streaming on YouTube and copyright
on Jun 16, 2016 at 6:06:49 pm

I just entered the following Google search: youtube live streaming music copyright

Quite a wealth of information available on the subject

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Vigen Kachikean
on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:38:32 pm

Thank you for the response, i've tried that i think i'm getting information overload and can't seem to find the answer i looking for.

Vigen Kachikean
Northridge Filmworks
Northridge, CA

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:33:41 pm

There are probably two violations of copyright going on here. If you are using popular music (most likely) there is probably not a copyright release for the performance or to broadcast. These are two separate categories of rights. The question is, "will you get caught?" Probably not unless your stream becomes very popular, but be well aware there is risk there. Also, don't be so foolish as to put a copyright designation on your stream.

My .02 worth

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

Vigen Kachikean
on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:45:01 pm

Yea that's my problem I don't want to put a copyright material on my stream but if i am streaming live events (wedding etc.) i can't help it. One option is i can cut the audio on dancing.
Thank you for the reply.

Vigen Kachikean
Northridge Filmworks
Northridge, CA

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Jul 19, 2016 at 10:20:51 am

Another option is to get lists of the music (artist, album, etc) for the event. You can then find the music, and the copyright holder. If there is a DJ however, they've already bought the rights to display the music. Also, if your audio contains other audio besides the music, it's not usually considered infringement, as it is simply a sound in the room that you are capturing. Another thing you can do is make a cut just as the song ends, and have it fade into other sound from another clip, which makes it so you haven't "Stolen" the entire song, only part of it is legible. It doesn't degrade the value of the song itself as a commercial work, as the song is not what is being used commercially. It is only a sound in the room, and has probably been paid for. This is Reasonable Fair Use. If there isn't a DJ, it's not on you to ensure the audio isn't a stolen work. If they are playing the sound in the room when you're shooting, and you don't control the music, you aren't responsible for any copyright infringement. Again, if I record a video of my family trip while I'm in the car, and a song comes on the radio, it becomes a part of the sound of the vehicle or the space I'm in.
Here's a quick rendition of fair use:

You're not making money off the music itself
You're not diminishing the marketability of the work (in this case, you're making it more marketable, as they might want to buy a cd to remember the moment)
You're educating or documenting
You're not diminishing the artwork (by showing something completely opposite the work or otherwise putting it down)

If some of these apply, you're golden. I wouldn't worry.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 19, 2016 at 5:39:15 pm

I think a very important point that is being missed is that YouTube states:

Content ID scans all live streams and Hangouts on Air for third party content. When Content ID identifies third party content, a placeholder image may replace your live broadcast until Content ID no longer detects third party content.

In other words, they are scanning your LIVE broadcast for any copyright music, and will BLOCK the stream when they detect copyright music! This is REALTIME. Not a matter of what anyone thinks is fair use, or "maybe they won't notice", most likely them will notice and will shut down the stream on the spot.

I sometimes use the Shazam app on my phone to identify a song I'm hearing on the radio and it can ID most any song in like 2 seconds flat, even in a car or restaurant with lots of other noise...so I don't think YouTube is going to be fooled, the technology is that good!

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]