FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dance Recitals Storing Original Footage

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Verona
Dance Recitals Storing Original Footage
on May 30, 2016 at 3:12:03 pm

I have been shooting dance recitals for years. When I lose a client I usually hold onto the original footage for 2 years then I delete it. I keep the edited footage. This is beginning to get costly.

How long do others hold onto original footage when they lose the contract with the dance school?

"Memories of today, Recorded for tomorrow."

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Dance Recitals Storing Original Footage
on May 31, 2016 at 8:24:42 pm

Hi Martin,

Once the edited videos/DVDs are delivered/approved, why save the raw footage at all - in case the dance studio wants it for a highlight reel or something? If they have dumped you as their videographer, then dump the footage, not sure why you'd feel any obligation to keep it archived for them.

I've been working with one dance studio for 20 years and I delete the original footage once DVDs are delivered. Same with school stage events, weddings, etc.

I use Atomos recorders for recitals, going straight to Apple ProRes, and end up with a couple of Terabytes of footage after a long weekend and I'm not storing that for anybody when I'm done editing ;-)

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Martin Verona
on Jun 1, 2016 at 3:06:08 pm

Thanks Jeff. I have known videographers who have many HDs with footage on them. I guess I like to keep too much stuff. Got start cleaning up.

Return to posts index

Rick Foxx
on Jun 1, 2016 at 3:04:06 pm

We keep raw footage for up to one year after the recital. We also retain the ProRes master of the program, as well as DVD and Blu-ray images indefinitely.

2013 MacPro 6 core 3.5 gHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2012 rMacBook Pro, Areca ARC-8050, Final Cut X, Adobe Production Premium CS6, Logic X

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 1, 2016 at 3:25:26 pm

I've always been guilty of saving too much video stuff...ask my wife! I still have tons of DVCAM-184 master tapes of weddings from many years ago. I did a while back throw away most of the older S-VHS wedding masters...that was difficult for me. Maybe because it was something I created and it will be gone forever. Not that I'm going to watch them again, but you know. Still waiting for that call from 20 years ago, "My kid ate the VHS" or "We had a fire, do you still have a copy of my wedding?". Never happened to date though.

However, this is not RAW footage. Curious what the rationale is for saving raw footage of events once product is delivered and customer approval is received. Not judging, just curious is all - enlighten me. Do you get dancers that come back later and want something done with their footage? I've been doing recitals for over 20 years and no one has ever asked for anything like that. I deliver DVDs, I'm done and delete it all, keeping just a master DVD (and/or .iso file) to make more copies later.

I can definitely see saving raw footage of corporate stuff since you may be doing more business with them and will likely be able to re-use some of that footage. Just not seeing the importance of event raw footage once delivered.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Rick Foxx
on Jun 2, 2016 at 4:18:28 am

I know what you mean Jeff. About 3 years ago, we went to a new media retention policy and I dumped raw footage going back to 1997. It was pretty painful to toss hundreds of tapes that represented my entire career in the video industry. We arrived at 1 year as a sensible policy based on a couple of factors.

I have had several graduating seniors come back to me and ask for specialty edits of their performances that they can submit with their scholarship applications. We run a minimum of 3 cameras, so I'm almost always able to focus on them during a particular number. We've also been asked a numerous occasions to create promo reels for our studios, and it's nice to have the raw footage to go back to.

2013 MacPro 6 core 3.5 gHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2012 rMacBook Pro, Areca ARC-8050, Final Cut X, Adobe Production Premium CS6, Logic X

Return to posts index

Martin Verona
on Jun 3, 2016 at 5:33:11 pm

The only old edited footage that I have been asked for was from parents who lost the DVD of the Dance Show. I refer them to the Dance School for purchase. But that has been very rare. After 28 years doing video, I have too much stuff. Anyone want a Panny S-VHS 450 (or was that a 350?).

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Nov 3, 2016 at 6:31:59 pm

We shoot our dance recitals with 3-5 cameras. When we were shooting to tape, it was real easy to just keep the master tapes in labelled boxes since we had a no-reuse policy anyway.

Today with shooting going to SD, our workflow is:
  • Copy media to editing drive
  • Copy media to BACKUP (short-term) drive
  • Reformat media

POST-EDIT....
  • When rendering for DVD, first render to a compressed, but high quality HD format
  • Drop the HD render onto the timeline and re-render to DVD format from that (quicker than using source footage since no effects are applied -- yes, it's 2nd generation render, but the quality seems to hold up OK
  • Author and deliver the DVD
  • Save a copy of the DVD for future copies
  • After customer acceptance, delete source media from PROJECT DRIVE.
  • Source media on BACKUP (short-term) DRIVE is deleted on a rotational basis as space is needed.

I keep the HD render indefinitely, along with the hardcopy DVD.

Disc space is relatively inexpensive these days -- heck, with 4 TB portable drives being just $150, you probably could keep source media for 5-10 dance schools on one drive (depending on your shooting format). So if that cost to you is $15/school for piece of mind, I'd say just keep the source footage on a hard drive! For me, it's cheap enough to keep the HD render around, and if an artist ever "becomes big" or wants us to do something with that footage, we have it in a higher quality format that DVD supports.

As the hired professional, I personally feel irresponsible retaining only DVD quality when I know we shot in much higher quality; the only reason we're still delivering that format is because our clients *currently* still want that (despite the hype) :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]