FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live video streaming using multi cameras and audio channels

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bethan Jepson
Live video streaming using multi cameras and audio channels
on Feb 3, 2016 at 11:06:53 pm

Hi does anyone have any experience streaming live video from multi-camera shoots? I am involved in a project where we will intend to film a live performance involving several actors. We intend to use up to 3 cameras, probably Canon 5D's. As well as the live performance we will also have a roaming camera filming some of the backstage activity. We will have at least 3 audio channels. Does anyone have any advice on how I can go about this? I am researching the various options for a streaming service and the information I am coming across can be slightly confusing. Do I need to use a video capture card? Will I need to encode the footage before outputting or is that all done through the streaming service? And as it's multi-cam and I will want to live edit do I need a video switcher/mixer or is there a streaming service with that inbuilt? I know this is a lot of questions and the information is out there for me, but just if anyone has done something similar and could suggest a few pointers. I do massively appreciate all the support I get from this group.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Live video streaming using multi cameras and audio channels
on Feb 5, 2016 at 8:40:40 pm

Hi Bethan,

Things can get pretty complex when it comes to streaming so I'll give you my take on a fairly affordable and reliable way to go about it.

Switcher: There are many switchers out there, best to rent if you don't do this often. I would recommend the Panasonic AW-HS50N. Gives you 4 HDSDI inputs, multiviewer and 1 DVI graphics input. BTW, I would absolutely pick cameras that have an SDI output. HDMI is unreliable after 30' and asks to be accidentally disconnected during a shoot, SDI will give you over 300'. But if you insist on HDMI, you can look at Blackmagic's offerings.

Cameras: Canon 5D: Yikes. No good for a live performance, no SDI out, no servo zoom, no designed for video, especially live.

Go to borrowlenses or similar outfit, and see if you can rent video cameras in your price range with quality tripods.

Sound:Get a mixer, output XLR to a media recorder. KiPro or PIX are 2 that I can recommend, Blackmagic also has few cheaper recording options.

Streaming:Again, there are few options, some computer based (What I would call unreliable). My recommendation, Teradek Vidiu or Cube (cheap to rent). One will get you HDMI in, the other SDI. Both easy to setup with major streaming outfits including LiveStream and Youtube.

Hope that helped, again there are many caveats, and you'll need a decent size crew to make this happen smoothly.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Lance Lewis
on Feb 17, 2016 at 1:59:34 am

In addition to what has already been said. If you are looking to use a camera that only has an HDMI output...as mentioned you will need to convert that to HDSDI if you need to go any type of real distance. HDSDI is super reliable all the way up to 360 feet with the right cables. But that means you will have to use some type of converter to get from HDMI to HDSDI. Atomos, Blackmagic Design, and Decimator make these as well as some other brands. However, I would highly, highly recommend the Decimator MX as it cost about the same as the other two but can do soooo much more. I have all three brands and wish I had only bought the decimators.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Feb 19, 2016 at 9:10:03 pm

Having no idea of the scope of the proposed streaming endeavor, there are a wide range of products are widely varying price ranges to choose from!

If you want to get into serious live streaming of multiple events, then a purpose-built unit like a Newtek TriCaster or vMix GO will act as both the switcher and streaming device, all in one. Plus titling, video playback, etc.

Connect your cameras, set up the encoding parameters for your CDN, and off to the races!

On a budget, maybe to "get your feet wet" on a few small projects, the cheapest solution might be the Cerevo Live Wedge box at under $1000. Switch multiple HDMI sources and live stream them from a small box, with optional iPad controls.

I will agree that DSLR cameras are not ideal for long-form, live event coverage, but that's your call. And of course as mentioned, HDMI is limited in the cable run length department. If your cameras are near one another, maybe it works out fine. If they are all over the auditorium...not so much.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]