FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice Needed On Projectors in Live Show

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lindsay Stevens
Advice Needed On Projectors in Live Show
on Jan 30, 2016 at 3:37:48 am

Hi guys,
I'm a student working on a thesis production and I need some advice on a projector to use.
I'm projecting images behind actors on two platforms, the first will end 10' in front of the screen and the second will end about 3' from the screen. The actor who will be standing on the platform the is closest to the screen is 5'5" (if that info helps anyone out).The bottom of the screen will be placed at the same height has the top of the platforms. The images projected are as important as what the actors are doing, So, I need the images to be relatively high quality and bright enough to be used with other lights. Ideally I would like to have a screen that is roughly 17'-6" X 14'-4", though the screen can be brought down to roughly 14' by 12'.
The biggest problem is space. The stage I'm using only has about 5' behind the location of the screen to place the projector and I was hoping to use a reverse projection to keep shadows and patterns off the actors. There is about 25' in front of the screen, but that is a worst case scenario option.
The second problem is expense. As a student I will be paying for most/all of this myself and that makes my budget incredibly small. Right now, I have room in my budget to spend $1500, though if I can get what I need for under $600 that would be best.
In short I need a projector that is inexpensive, but will still work. Is bright enough to be used with other lights. And has a short enough throw to project on a 17'-6" X 14'-4" screen at less then 5'.
If anyone has ideas as to how this can be accomplished in any other way please let me know.
Thanks for any help!
--Lindsay

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Advice Needed On Projectors in Live Show
on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:23:37 pm

Hi Lindsay,

For rear projection, you'll roughly need the width of the screen in projection distance at the minimum (0.9 Lens). Rear projection will compete better with front lighting, but you will lose some brightness and viewing angle VS front projection. As for projector brightness, that's really hard to tell without seeing how much light falls on screen (ideally none).

You could look at a 6000 lumens projector (I definitely would not go under that), but I would recommend something closer to 10K for a client.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]