FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback during editing?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Sebeck
Playback during editing?
on Jan 15, 2016 at 4:36:40 pm

I'm working on a live event video and our end canvas size will be extremely panoramic (20,000 x 1080). The end product will be played via Playback Pro (multiple pro res files) but my question is about post workflow.

We'll be working in a pixel to pixel size canvas in AE and then render out the pieces for the event - but to monitor during the editing / design... what is the best way to see the whole canvas. We've done multiple HD screen event videos, but this aspect is SO WIDE one monitor (even a HUGE 70" 4K monitor) will still be hard to see.

Can I use something like a triple head out of AE? Can I just stretch the playback window over three monitors on a dedicated graphics card?

I'm sure we will be rendering out and testing throughout the proccess - but I'm more concerned about the day to day design / edit / animation.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Playback during editing?
on Jan 15, 2016 at 6:39:18 pm

Hi Rick,

A Triplehead is the way to go (or multiple video cards). Yes you can undock the preview panel and stretch across multiple monitors. You can also get ultra thin bezel monitors if the budget is there.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: Playback during editing?
on Jan 16, 2016 at 3:02:25 am

Your most cost effective option to expand monitors is to get an AMD Firepro graphics card with enough oomph for the job (or nVidia Quadro equivalent). I would suggest at least a W7100, preferably a W8100 for better cooling. Both cards allow you up to 4 monitors using ACTIVE DP-DVI Adapters (please note the emphasis on 'ACTIVE' when connecting to greater than 2 monitors).

Current technology from AMD (and possibly nVidia but I'm not so familiar with nVidia) allow a max of 6 monitors per pc. To get 6 with a W7100 or W8100, you can use a Display Port MST hub (multi-stream technology) such as that from EVGA, Matrox, Club3D (not recommended), and others. Cost is around USD100, not much more unless they package with software that adds more functionality/features and charge a premium for that).

Good luck with your project!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]