FORUMS: list search recent posts

FAR Out there Q: Live motion tracking for virtual set?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Bragg
FAR Out there Q: Live motion tracking for virtual set?
on Oct 27, 2015 at 4:15:54 pm

This may be too ambitious -- is there a solution for doing live, motion tracked virtual sets?
We have a large greenscreen studio, and the idea keeps coming up to use virtual sets. However, if you move the camera, or switch angles between cameras, the illusion is lost. I've seen behind-the-scenes where they use extensive greenscreen, and they put tracking markers for putting it in during post. Can something like this, or a simplified version, be done live?

What would such a thing be called?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: FAR Out there Q: Live motion tracking for virtual set?
on Oct 27, 2015 at 6:48:09 pm

Hi Ted,

Can you please elaborate on the result you are looking for? The Newtek TriCaster has some pretty neat capabilities within its Virtual Sets, but the talent has to pretty much remain stationary in front of the camera. Via software, the user can pan/zoom around in the environment, and there are multiple angles of each set (center/left/right) to accommodate using two or three (actual) cameras to get different angles.

Using the optional Newtek "Advanced Edition" software, graphic elements can be placed into the set, to move with the virtual camera (using parallax and such for realism).

If you want/need the talent to be able to physically walk around the set, then this may not be the solution for you.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 28, 2015 at 9:34:40 pm

On the low budget, the Newtek solution works for many, but for more sophisticated work, you need Orad or something like that, to do it live. There are hobbyists out there hacking the 3-d cameras in game systems to track a live person and pin them into a virtual environment in realtime, but nothing I've seen of that nature is quite "ready for prime time".

Return to posts index

Jack McGee
on Oct 28, 2015 at 9:57:31 pm

Good luck with ORAD. We had placed a healthy order with them months ago, (before merger with Avid) and now can not even get a callback from account executive. We cancelled the order. My guess Avid is going to shut down the company and get the technology to use in other products.

We are looking at Ross virtual set solution now. Once you move past the Newteks, Broadcast Pix, other trackless solutions, there are very few players, Brainstorm and Ross are the only two I know of.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Oct 29, 2015 at 12:59:06 am

I remember a company called Brainstorm at NAB (http://www.brainstorm.es/)

I have no idea about pricing but it looked really good.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Oct 30, 2015 at 7:18:57 pm

Check out these guys. Not cheap but they can do exactly what you are looking for.
http://www.vizrt.com

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]