FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback Pro Freezing issue

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Boitnott
Playback Pro Freezing issue
on Oct 6, 2015 at 7:13:01 pm

Hey everyone,

New to the forum, seems like a pretty great resource. Anyway, we use Playback Pro Plus IA (v.3.6.0) on OS X 10.10.3. We generally always play the videos through an external hardrive via USB 3.0. We usually run the Mac via VGA to an FSR and then out to two Sanyo projectors. Sound comes from the mini port into a sound board.

Most of the time, this program is rock solid. But a few times recently it has frozen 2-3 seconds into a video (happened live 5 times). A quick 'ESC' will cut it and it plays the second time. It does not seem to be related to the file size, because it happened with music files as well. And this was after extensive testing the day before.

We could only think of 2 possible variables:
1. For multiday events, we always shut down and take the mac backstage, unplugging it from power, vga, sound, and the harddrive. I thought the harddrive unplugging may be the issue, but I have not been able to reproduce the problem.
2. I think it only occurs with newer Macbooks. The ones without the CD drive. We have 2 new ones and 2 old ones. i dont know this for a fact, but its just an idea. Cant test theory today.

Any insight? let me know if I can clarify anything. Ive written enough already.

Return to posts index

Aaron Kruse
Re: Playback Pro Freezing issue
on Oct 15, 2015 at 3:16:00 pm

Michael,

I have experienced this before in previous versions of PlaybackPro on earlier Mac OS versions.
- do the same videos play consistently in other programs, such as QT7 or QLab?
- were the videos created in Final Cut?

Our problem was the QuickTime "wrapper" on the file itself. Any videos exported directly from FCP at that time had something in the metadata that PlaybackPro didn't like. We would re-save the videos in QT 7 or FFMpeg and the problem would go away.

Aaron
Atlas Production Group

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Oct 16, 2015 at 3:21:18 am

Hi Michael,

Double check that your version is compatible with the current OS and Video card (under FAQs at their website).
Some new cards are causing issues.

We also always convert all the files to Prores, we just carry a machine and have a watch folder setup under Adobe Media Encoder. Drag and drop, easy enough.

It seems PBP has some issues with certain VBR H.264

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Michael Boitnott
on Dec 15, 2015 at 7:18:18 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my long response. I should add some details. The videos were provided to me by the client. Not quite sure what format they were shot in, etc. The freezing issue seemed to happen regardless of the file at hand. For example, it even occurred during music playback for the main act.

Restarting my Mac fixed the problem, but wanted to check with others to see similar problems had occurred for them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]