FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD-SDI cable for concert

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Foldenauer
HD-SDI cable for concert
on May 28, 2015 at 5:53:35 pm

So we're having a high end country concert in 2 weeks and it has just been brought to my attention that I need to supply cameras, staff, cables, etc.

Our current set up is for minor league baseball games as we have 3 wired cameras that run SDI to a junction box that converts it to fiber then converts it back to SDI when it gets into the rack in the control room. Then 1 wireless camera that goes through the same chain of events.

my question is what type of SDI cable do I need to get, in order to run the signal? 2 cables need to be 150 ft and one needs to be 200 ft.

One of the 150 ft cables will take a wireless signal from the transmitter, run 150 ft to the junction box, convert it to fiber and send it to the rack. Is this plausible or will there be to much delay or signal loss?

We've never produced a show of this magnitude and I need to know best practices to create a show worth this type of act.

Thanks in advance! hopefully someone can at least point me in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: HD-SDI cable for concert
on Jun 1, 2015 at 5:12:15 am

Hi Ken,

With good SDi cable you can safely go 300 feet. I would call Markertek and have them build some Belden cable for the length you need,

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Jun 7, 2015 at 12:27:07 pm

We regularly run cables from 150 to 300 ft for the SDI with no problems. Just use a good quality cable with good quality terminations. The terminators may be just as important as the cable. You should definitely have no problems with cables from a company like Markertek.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Return to posts index

Ken Foldenauer
on Oct 14, 2015 at 4:40:57 pm

Turns out they travel with their own video production crew for the main act, so we just paid them more to do all 5 acts. But thank you for the input. I'm sure this will come up again in a few months when were getting ready for the next one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]