FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac Pro with multiple displays

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe seamans
New Mac Pro with multiple displays
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:21:13 pm

I am feeding media to 5 video projectors, each on a different Thunderbolt port. The projectors are in different rooms in a very large space. My problem has been that when I boot up the MAC, sometimes the desktop menu bar appears on one of the projector screens and my home screen is black. It's a difficult problem to deal with when the computer is in one room and the desktop is displayed in another. I was able to sort this out via screen sharing on my laptop, which allowed me to access the extended desktop on my Mac Pro and move the menu bar to my home display screen via Screen Preferences. My question: Is there any way in the MAC OS to lock down the home screen so this doesn't happen?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: New Mac Pro with multiple displays
on Apr 10, 2015 at 6:04:30 pm

Is there a reason you don't send one mac output to a distribution amplifier and from there to the multi screens?

Return to posts index

joe seamans
on Apr 10, 2015 at 6:14:54 pm

I am sending different signals to each projector simultaneously.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Apr 10, 2015 at 6:28:16 pm

No experience with the Mac Pro, but according to:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202801

there are 3 Thunderbolt busses for the 6 outputs. Perhaps it is just a matter of identifying which output the desktop menu keeps appearing on and make that your home screen - "if the mountain won't come to you, then you must go to the mountain".

I have a similar experience with a recent Windows 7 setup on a MSI board combining the onboard gpu (2 outputs - HDMI and DP) with 2 old AMD graphics cards (2 DVI-I outputs each) to get 6 discrete outputs for a stage musical (1 for application + 5 for projection). The 'home screen' or master display for my application kept coming up on Display 5, which was the one connected to the Display Port from the motherboard. So instead of fighting it, I merely made it my home screen, and every boot-up (cold or warm) was consistent, without having to re-configure my outputs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]