FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Feasibility Study for a fictitious live music venue! A Media Report for my BSc Honours Final Year.

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Lomas
A Feasibility Study for a fictitious live music venue! A Media Report for my BSc Honours Final Year.
on Apr 5, 2015 at 2:08:52 pm

Hi all,

I could really do with some knowledgeable help!

For our final year at University we have to compose a 2,000 word Media Report on a subject of our own choosing. I decided (since I have come from a Music Production background) to prepare a report on using rails/tracks and HD cameras to record the live performance of a band or Artist.

The Assignment has to be submitted in 3 weeks!!!

I am beginning to wish I had chosen a much simpler concept, since my knowledge of this subject is really minimal!!!

I have been browsing on the ACS site (they do the Olympics etc on their own tracks).

Can ANYBODY help me who knows what they are talking about? I haven't a clue what to use in terms of cameras?
My Lecturer said HD cameras are so cheap that I could just put ten cheap ones up and scrap the rails idea.

I'm really at a loss.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: A Feasibility Study for a fictitious live music venue! A Media Report for my BSc Honours Final Year.
on Apr 6, 2015 at 4:44:47 pm

You're talking about the difference between a motion control camera rig on a robotic jib and dolly, versus what they nickname a "slider", a dolly-like device limited to moving along a straight or curved track.

The other thing your teacher is talking about is the multi-camera "bullet time" rig first popularized by the first "The Matrix" movie, which lets you freeze a shot in time while moving around it in space. While such a rig was once used when the Rolling Stones (or maybe it was Aerosmith) played half-time at the Super Bowl, it was only used once or twice in that context. The electronics for simulating a real-time pan using the camera array are formidable and expensive, compared to moving one robotic camera and/or dolly, along a rail.

So, if what your paper is about is how you would execute the shoot of a band's music video, down to the specific technologies used, you want to define the overall aesthetic you want to achieve, then pick the technology that serves that need best. Whether that's a row of 59 go pros, mixed in post, or a nice single camera on motion-control.

Return to posts index

Steven Lomas
Re: A Feasibility Study for a fictitious live music venue! A Media Report for my BSc Honours Final Year.
on Apr 6, 2015 at 5:13:35 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for such an informative reply!! It's appreciated.

For me, I would put a rail across the ceiling parallel with the stage, but toward the back near the sound-desk. Also two vertical rails at each side of the stage, also set back a bit. I've spent a long time on the internet trying to find long tracks for sale, but I have only found the ACS company who make long rails.

But where I struggle is; what cameras do I mount on these ceiling and wall rails and how do i operate them remotely? Will lenses steam up due to the amount of hot sweaty bodies about?

I was hoping for a reply from ACS (Aerial Camera Systems) to the two emails I've sent them, but no luck. CamCat replied suggesting their Colibri system would be good to use, but is VERY expensive as it has to come with the skilled operators. I ruled that out of the question as it's just TOO ambitious!

http://www.aerialcamerasystems.com/_resource/_pdf/CAMCAT-Colibri.pdf

I MUST spend more time researching HD cameras. This is a completely new subject field to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]