FORUMS: list search recent posts

What thunderbolt adapter to use for these Panasonic and Sanyo projectors..?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Krauth
What thunderbolt adapter to use for these Panasonic and Sanyo projectors..?
on Nov 18, 2014 at 3:35:50 am

Hi there,

I am a new member on here but also quite new to the world of live light rigging. As a visual artist, I have to start doing more of this myself, and have to bring a lot of my own equipment to the small festivals that I'm currently trying to get my work into here in Australia. Here is my question:

I have a Macbook Pro, whose hdmi ports and most USB ports don't currently work, so when I attach projectors I usually use a small 8 pin VGA to thunderbolt Mac adapter, as I usually only work with small projectors.

I am soon to do an artwork involving 4 projectors, and have been quoted for the hire of 2 x Panasonic PTD-6000 Projectors with 0.8 Lenses and 2x Sanyo XF45 Projectors with 0.8 Lenses. I won't be able to see these projectors until the day of the event and haven't had any experience with these kinds of projectors in the past.

Does anyone on here know what kind of projector to computer cable these particular types of projectors use (eg. VGA? How many pins at the computer end??) so that I can buy the correct thunderbolt adapters to connect these projectors to my Mac?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Cheers
Ali

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: What thunderbolt adapter to use for these Panasonic and Sanyo projectors..?
on Nov 18, 2014 at 11:34:35 pm

Hi Ali,

All these projectors take in DVI or VGA, so you'll need a Thunderbolt to DVI or VGA adapter. (DVI is crisper since it's digital)

If you are connecting to all 4 projectors at the same time, you'll also need a 1x4 DA to split the signal, a short cable to make from your computer to the DA, and 4 cables to make it from the DA to the projector. For DVI, It's usually recommended to stay under 30 feet (50' for high quality cables) or use fiber optic for longer runs. VGA can go nicely up to 100'. You can't mix and match VGA and DVI.

Hope that helps.

Vince

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Ali Krauth
Re: What thunderbolt adapter to use for these Panasonic and Sanyo projectors..?
on Nov 19, 2014 at 1:48:08 am

Hi Vince,

Extremely helpful, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]