FORUMS: list search recent posts

Who makes custom-sized giant teleprompter mirrors?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Who makes custom-sized giant teleprompter mirrors?
on Nov 14, 2014 at 4:58:23 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Nov 14, 2014 at 4:58:28 pm

If you needed a 40-inch-diagonal, front-surface-coated, 50% transparent glass teleprompter mirror, where would you go?

Right now, I use tempered window glass with a mylar overlay, but my crew has asked for a better mirror. I don't know that this is easy to find or afford, any ideas?

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: Who makes custom-sized giant teleprompter mirrors?
on Nov 15, 2014 at 12:55:04 am

Inquire with Edmund Optics. They may do custom orders -

http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/beamsplitters/

I have no experience with them, but they were in my 'collection of websites' for future reference.

Good luck!
Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 15, 2014 at 2:56:31 am

They do, but not that large, and their minimum order is 25 pieces.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Nov 15, 2014 at 12:58:06 pm

Alternative is DIY/modify a normal mirror with paint strippers!! Examples -

At 40", any piece you get would probably have to be thicker than the usual 2-3mm, else it sags/bends when angled and may break if too thin and brittle.
Additionally, at that size (like a 10ft x 8ft piece I had years ago for a Pepper's Ghost install), it would also have to be ??laminated?? (can't recall the proper word) so when and if it breaks, it does not shatter completely and into small flying fragments causing a danger to anyone nearby.

Thomas

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 15, 2014 at 2:52:17 pm

Interesting technique. I wonder about the unprotected metal surface degrading: wouldn't it need a clear coat to protect it? And would such a mirror be 50% transparent, as a teleprompter needs for the beam splitter?

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Nov 15, 2014 at 4:39:08 pm

My thoughts on this is that a normal mirror is merely a piece of plate glass coated on one side with silver and the opposite side with something opaque (eg. paint). The technique says that removal of the paint would suffice. The original coating on the reflective mirror side would be untouched.

Could try it out on a smaller piece first. Can check for ghosting with the tip of a pencil or finger tip on the surface. The ghost image comes from the back surface if the front surface is not good enough (That's the way I check my prompter glass before mounting on the stand).

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Nov 15, 2014 at 4:52:08 pm

Apparently such sizes are available from England!! My ole buddy there just replied me, saying:

"Front surface glass mirrors that big are available but Mylar mirrors (foil stretched on aluminium frame) are more practical and cheaper., and more popular. I can get a quote for you on Monday."

If interested, I've already informed him that you will contact him. Please email me or private message me here for his contact email.

Thomas

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 15, 2014 at 5:13:21 pm

Friendship link message sent, will look for your contact info.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Dec 4, 2014 at 8:01:35 am

Hi Mark,

Not sure if you have had any success from my friend in London, but I just came across this other possible source -

http://www.wayfair.com/Vutec-Mirror-For-Rear-Projection-VU1165.html?

Might be worth a question to them re the mirror only.

Thomas

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Apr 17, 2015 at 9:59:26 pm

Mark,

Just found this -
http://glasslessmirror.com/scrim-glassless-mirrors.html

Custom sizes available too, and maybe the amount of reflection. Being glassless, makes transport and handling easier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]