FORUMS: list search recent posts

multiple projector outputs using Macbook Pro Retina laptop.

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe seamans
multiple projector outputs using Macbook Pro Retina laptop.
on Sep 5, 2014 at 7:32:42 pm

I need one live camera input and three separate video outputs from my laptop. Camera in on thunderbolt 1 via Blackmagic Intensity Pro external box. One projector output via HDMI. Another via Thunderbolt 2. How do I get the third projector out? Thunderbolt hubs don't work. If I use my Caldigit hub it sends video to the HDMI port from the Thunderbolt input but the laptop doesn't see second Thunderbolt port as a video out port unless I unplug the HDMI port. Then it sends video to the second Thunderbolt port. Do I need a thunderbolt PCI expansion chassis with a dual link video card or something like that?

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
Re: multiple projector outputs using Macbook Pro Retina laptop.
on Sep 7, 2014 at 8:38:53 pm

Hi Joe,

Looks like you're going to want to look into a "Grahpics Extension Module" That's what Matrox calls them, other vendors may have different names but they effectively do the same thing - one video output fed into these boxes will give multiple outputs.

The version I think that's generally accepted as the best in class is made by DataPath and it's called the X4

http://www.datapath.co.uk/products/multi-display-products/datapath-x4

They can be a bit harder to come by than the Matrox products, but have quite a bit more power.

The only thing I can't specifically address here is the amount of delay that will be introduced into the signal from the time the camera input is captured until the time that it's spit out of the GXM, but I would expect you'd be looking at a minimum of 3 frames of delay, possibly more depending on all of your settings.

I've only ever used the datapath and boxes like it to extend computer graphics where processing delay was not an issue. Hopefully someone else on here can chime in.

I'm curious what your application is exactly, any why, perhaps a distribution amplifier would not work to get you three outputs from one?

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

Giorgos Labropoulos
Re: multiple projector outputs using Macbook Pro Retina laptop.
on Sep 28, 2014 at 2:06:44 am

Hi,
Is it possible to drive 8 projectors with a macbook pro retina and 2 datapath *4?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]