FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best ways to shoot a large stage performance

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Mark
Best ways to shoot a large stage performance
on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:18:34 am
Last Edited By John Mark on Mar 30, 2014 at 8:20:43 am

Only new at this, I am a-little concerned for when the time comes for me to pre-record a live production (play) that will be then played back mocking a "live broadcast" on a projector.

Since a large amount of people will be performing on stage (host, dancers), what are the best ways to shoot this? I don't want to be zooming or panning to much.
What makes it a-little more difficult is I am only supplied with one fixed camera.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Best ways to shoot a large stage performance
on Mar 31, 2014 at 3:54:50 am

When shooting with just one camera, you will just have to occasionally do smooth zooms in and out. An alternative is that you shoot more than one performance, each time concentrating on a different shot, and edit these into one composite performance. If you can just add one camera, AND shoot multiple performances, it will look like 4 cameras.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:39:58 am

Tough to capture ambiance of a live production with only one camera. I would suggest the following:

1. Know the show, inside and out. Know it better than the director so you can capture the most significant elements at the proper time.
2. Imagine you are sitting in the audience and the camera is your eye. Keep the focus on the action and occasionally zoom in as if you would do with your eyes if sitting in the audience.
3. Don't forget the audio. Bad audio will negate the best video. Good audio can overcome video shortcomings, including one camera! I assume there will be a sound reinforcement system. Connect hardwired to it. Best to take an auxiliary output so there can be some adjustment to compensate for differences in live sound mixing vs recorded output. There is a significant difference. Try it during rehearsal. Record it and then critique. Be harsh on your review. Make adjustments and if necessary record another practice. Did I mention that audio is most important?
4. Record with the best camera with the best lens you can. The best camera is the best one you can get!

My $.02 worth.

Jim

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:43:08 am

One additional thing....
Did I mention audio is most important. Never use the camera mike to record presentation audio!

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Apr 11, 2014 at 12:10:08 am

Thank you Jim Brown for the excellent tips!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]