FORUMS: list search recent posts

live footage blown out suggestions

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hill
live footage blown out suggestions
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:00:42 am

I ran my first gig, and the footage on the camera looked great, canon 70D. now that I see it full screen, its pretty blown out, any way to fix it....even a little? I have tried RGB, levels, Captains blowout fixer....ive googled it over and over...so far no such luck. any suggestions would be appreciated. Here is a still. its in motion, when I am zoomed in it looks better but still I would like to fix the blow out look. Stage lighting was very harsh.

Return to posts index

Micah Wolf
Re: live footage blown out suggestions
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:17:55 pm

There is not much you will be able to do with the footage, if you have already tried adjusting the levels in post you pretty much don't have any options. If this was my footage I would open up my waveform monitor and get my levels below 100 IRE and add some contrast. Because the highlights are so washed out the camera wasn't able capture any detail. This is why I hate DSLR's for video or at least as my primary camera. I don't personally use a 7D but I have heard about people using Magic Lantern as a way to help monitor your DSLR footage and lets you know when you are peaking while shooting. The footage also looks better when zoomed in because your lens doesn't have a fixed aperture, so when you zoom in less light enters through the iris. Look at purchasing a f2.8 lens.

Stage lighting is very tricky to work around. If you are doing more of this work in the future look at purchasing a used HVX or HMC-150. You will have zebra's and the ability to monitor your footage so much better.

Good luck!

Micah

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:36:40 pm

thanks much for the advice, I have tried to pull down the levels they are at 100 indeed I cant even slide them down it seems. Wow, those camera suggestions are well priced.the HVX looks great, its got specific cards tho right? Only problem is then I need a DSLR as well for my other shoots. Hence the DSLR choice. So now im in a kenundrum, I think I should have maybe done some lighting tests prior, it was sort a guerrilla shoot unfortunately. Not much direction, I know I am the professional so I am at fault here. Thanks again for the advice.

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Feb 2, 2014 at 3:28:27 pm

The only solution is a good monitor, even a small one. At larger one will get you focused.

JVC has some great units that will get you a waveform graph at the bottom. Panasonic or Sony if you want to spend a bet more money.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live

Kaptis Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]