FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to screen HDV pal footage in theatre?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnus Monfeldt
Best way to screen HDV pal footage in theatre?
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:06:54 pm

Hi all,

I was advised to cross-post this one over here. I got some good advice over at the FCP forum but if I can avoid installing QT 7 and just screen my film via FCP it would be ideal:

I'll be screening a 23min documentary at a theatre in a week. It's not a real cinema, but a large theatre with a beamer. The film was initially made for the web but I'd like to make a sharp looking version for the screening as well. Now I can't decide whether I should make a standard def DVD, or just play it from my laptop. It was shot at 25fps with a HDV Canon AHX1, downgraded on import to Apple Prores 1440x1080. So my questions are:

-If I make a DVD, what are the best export settings? Through Compressor to MP2 or straight out of FCP as is?
-Let's say I just play it from my MacBook Pro; could I do this through FCP (View-external video-all frames) with optimal sharpness or would it be recommended that I export a proper QT movie? All of the different export settings/options are driving me mad...
-What are the pros and cons of each method?

Thanks in advance,
Magnus

MacBook Pro 15inch, 2.4 ghz Intel Core i5, 4gb RAM, FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Best way to screen HDV pal footage in theatre?
on Jan 15, 2014 at 6:08:59 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Jan 15, 2014 at 6:09:52 pm

My advice would be using at the minimum 2 laptops with a KVM switch. That will allow you to run both audio and video through. Here is great one, but there are others.

Do confirm with the theater on the connections you'll need.

You absolutely want a backup for this length of a playback. Run the second one with a 10 second delay to allow for switching time if something goes wrong, and trust me, things do go wrong from time to time :-)

FCP is fine, although I prefer Playback Pro, but the cost probably won't be justified for a one time screening.

Cheers,

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Media

Indigo Live
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Magnus Monfeldt
on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:29:51 pm

Thanks Vince,

Let me see if I understood this correctly. I'd have my laptop running the movie from FCP, and a 2nd laptop that would run it from a .mov file in QT, both computers connected to the projector via a KVM switch? Or should I copy the FCP project file to the 2nd laptop and direct FCP to my external harddrive which contains all of the footage? Probably a better idea since .mov's frequently export as a bit washed out.

Cheers,
Magnus

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:58:51 pm

That's what I would do for peace of mind.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Media

Indigo Live
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]