FORUMS: list search recent posts

multi-cam sports event system

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Vitale
multi-cam sports event system
on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:23:26 am

Ok guys, I've been approached by a start up sports company to film their event and produce combine like footage for the attendees. This all came at me pretty quick and honestly I'm a bit lost in where to start. So i've turned to the creative cow gods for a bit of help. I need a way to record 12 seperate feeds. I know the concept, i need cameras with hd-sdi output, a server or servers to record the raw footage to. But as far as what cameras, what cards (i'm thining a few matrox vs4s?) and what software to record it all, i'm lost!

Any advice/help/expertise/experience is MUCH appreciated!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: multi-cam sports event system
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:28:53 pm

How I would approach this is to record ISO (isolated) in each camera as back-ups, feed them all to a switcher, and live-switch to a recorder or archive drive. Incredible time-saver, if time = money.

IMO if this is a one-off event, your best bet would be to rent a "fly-away package", where all this gear, camera, switchers, etc. has already been integrated for you, in portable containers. If you don't have the skills to live-switch, be the Producer instead and hire a good live shot director and/or TD.

A twelve-cam job is also in the realm of using actual production trucks.

If you are doing this on a shoestring budget, then you're faking the live switch with a multicam edit in post.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: multi-cam sports event system
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:54:36 pm

Ditto to what Mark said. We have a production trailer with Newtek instant replay system. When we use it for corporate events and want ISO records, we simply use the Newtek. Gives me 4 cameras recorded for several hours. Newtek and EVS are the market leaders in this technology. It is not cheap!

Best bet is to rent the gear.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]