FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony MCS8M Switcher Won't See Macbook Pro w/Playback Pro (HDCP Issues)

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rommie Sebo
Sony MCS8M Switcher Won't See Macbook Pro w/Playback Pro (HDCP Issues)
on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:43:53 pm

I do quite a few number of live corporate events and usually they consist of multiple cameras for IMAG and record, Powerpoint playback, and video playback. I recently purchased Playback Pro Plus and the Sony MCS-8M Multi Format 8 input switcher. It's inputs include 4 HD-SDI, 3 HDMI, and 1 DVI. I am running into a problem trying to get the switcher to see the signal from the Macbook Pro.

When I use a thunderbolt to DVI adapter on the Macbook and then run a DVI into the switcher it will not recognize it. I know that running that same cable into a monitor works without any issues. I also tried using a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and then ran an hdmi cable to one of the hdmi inputs on the switcher and that didn't work at all either.

I'm thinking this is all because of the HDCP signal and need to know if anyone has had any success with any type of solution or work around for this type of a problem.

Rommie Sebo

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Sony MCS8M Switcher Won't See Macbook Pro w/Playback Pro (HDCP Issues)
on Dec 7, 2013 at 2:56:20 am

Only thing I can think of at this time:

Make sure that Playback pro is not running when connecting the Mac, as it takes over pretty much everything to keep things stable.
Also worth noting that it will throw a black screen.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Media

Indigo Live
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Phil Coffman
on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:47:50 pm

Our church acquired an MCS-8M and had the same issue when connecting MBP or an iMac.

This device fixed it: http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZU...

Looks like there's an EDID issue between the switcher and the imac but this has totally solved it for us.

Thanks to Rommie Sebo for his post here:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/158/857573

Thought I'd quote the part that was helpful:

"Ben,I recently purchased the Sony MCS-8M HD/SD Multi-format 8 input video switcher. Here is a breakdown of all the inputs; 4 HD-SDI, 3 HDMI, and 1 DVI. It has 2 DVI outs (1 for a multi viewer display) and 4 HD-SDI. We use Playback Pro Plus on a Macbook Pro for our video playback and Powerpoint slideshows. The only issue I had was trying to run a signal out of the laptop (Macbook Pro with thunderbolt port) into the switcher. The laptop has HDCP so it will block the signal out for protection purposes but we found a work around. We put a Gefen DVI Detective inline between the Macbook Pro and the Sony switcher. Now the switcher has no problem seeing the Macbook Pro laptop. Note; sending an HDMI signal into one of the switcher's HDMI inputs would require Gefen's HDMI Detective as well. Hope this helps."

Phil

Return to posts index

Felipe Kobeh
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:02:57 am

It's the HDCP, I use exactly the same gear. The only way to make it work is by using a specific type of HDMI distributor between the mac and the MCS that fools the hardware and let you use the MacBookPro.

Return to posts index

Shane Ringrose
on May 23, 2017 at 7:30:31 am

Hi all

This postthread was helpful in my journey to understanding why we were having problems with our Sony MCS-8M with many MAC's and PC's. Apple products are the hardest to get working but some windows PC didn't work either.

The solution is to get the correct "resolution" and "frequency" to match the Sony video mixer.

Our Cameras are PAL so we use 1080 by 50Hz.

I know that 1920 x 1080 @ 25i works but many graphics cards will not except this configuration.

I purchased a couple of EDID emulators but this only helped some machines.

The next solution was to purchase a video scaler and frequency converter

OPR-HS405V Variable Frequency HDMI to SDI Converter, 1080P 60Hz to 1080i 50Hz
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162061654048?ul_noapp=true

I use this device with the EDID emulator and are having good results

Note: even with the correct gear you sill need to configure the PC's and devices.

Its not plug and play

Return to posts index

Shane Ringrose
on May 24, 2017 at 8:08:16 pm

To follow up on my above post a more profession solution might be the

Decimator MD-HX

http://decimator.com/Products/MiniConverters/MD-HX/MD-HX.html

No doubt there will be other solutions as well

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]