FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice choosing Cameras for live event

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Fowler
Advice choosing Cameras for live event
on Dec 5, 2013 at 12:58:32 am

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for advice choosing cameras for a live event.
I need 3 cameras. 2 will be on tripods. one on a jib.

1 of the cameras will be at the back of the long room. about 175ft. So it'd need a long lens to put the speaker full frame, and stable sticks of course.

Can you guys suggest cameras, and lensing options for 1/2in sensor cameras?

Thanks! (we'll have tally, and coms already)

Also, any recommended vendors in the Seattle area.

Steadicam Op / DP :: http://www.fowlerfilms.com

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Advice choosing Cameras for live event
on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:46:04 pm
Last Edited By Vince Becquiot on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:46:38 pm

I'm guessing you are talking about renting here :-)

You can try VER in Seattle, they'll have what you need or they'll ship it: http://www.verrents.com/locations/

As for cameras, on the HD side you could look at the Sony HDC-1500 HD, for SD, you could use the Sony DXC-D50.

Not sure what they have lensing wise for that distance, but they should be able to answer that question.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

Eric Lagerlof
on Dec 7, 2013 at 11:02:13 pm

You mentioned 1/2" cameras but I think you're better off looking at 2/3" cameras unless you really the 1/2". At 175', a lot of rental companies will not have a 33x or 44x type lens (or longer) for 1/2" chip cameras. Vince's suggestions make sense to me but perhaps you really need 1/2" cams.
Can be done bit availability might be tricky. Also, are you going to want/need CCU's? Changing iris on a jib is a pain without at least a paintbox(1/2" cameras) and much easier once you move to the CCU's you can get with typical pro 2/3" cams.

I don't know about Sony, but I believe JVC had CCU's for some of their 1/2" cameras. Been awhile since I scoped that out.

Also, the comment about having your own com/tally. If this is part of the Blackmagic system, which I believe uses fiber, just be careful that the venue won't mean that your cable runs aren't going to be trashed by heavy traffic/gear, especially on that long run.

Just some thoughts.

Return to posts index

Bryan Fowler
on Dec 8, 2013 at 2:56:35 pm

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yes, 2/3 in would be better. I've been in the super35 world so long I forgot my roots.

We started looking at Panasonic 370s, and maybe 500s. with 17x lenses for the ones closer to the stage, and 33x for the one in the far back of the room.

We are getting the ATEM production 2 switcher from a school.. (I think that's the name) with fiber tally. BUT I didn't think to ask how long the fiber runs were for them. AND I didn't think about the fragile cable thing. Maybe we can run it against the wall, and cover the thresholds? It's in a hotel, and it's a TED talk style event, so no crazy dancing, but still lots of people.

If we went without the tally, and just did straight ClearComs that might be easier? (all three cameras will have easy viewing of what is live, so A tally might not be super critical.

I was planning on NOT going with CCU, just because of the expense, and we don't have anyone to do shading. I'm already directing a switching. I don't mind that, but I haven't done it in years, so... we'll see how that goes. hah

Steadicam Op / DP :: http://www.fowlerfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]