FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt to SDI - Playback pro

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben King
Thunderbolt to SDI - Playback pro
on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:56:19 am

Hi Folks,

I just wanted to ask if anyone has found any alternatives to using unreliable thunderbolt to hdmi/dvi/vga adapters for live playback? I'm using a late 2011 Macbook pro with playback pro.

I've had a look at the AJA t-tap and the Blackmagic mini monitor but they both look like they are limited to video editing software. Has anyone tried using them as an extended desktop? It looks like that isn't an option though.

An SDI adapter would be great!

Cheers,

Ben

Return to posts index

Matt Geiser
Re: Thunderbolt to SDI - Playback pro
on Nov 12, 2013 at 2:19:52 pm

Hey Ben

I use the Blackmagic DVI to SDI converters. I don't see them in the current product page at BMD but they do have the HDMI to SDI which would work just as well and embed the audio in the SDI.

My $0.02
Matt

Return to posts index

Ben King
on Nov 13, 2013 at 1:05:18 am

Thanks, we do have a few of those. At the moment we go through a HDMI to SDI converter that Blackmagic make. I was just hoping to find something to reduce the connections (and chances of signal loss).

Cheers,

Ben

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Nov 17, 2013 at 3:38:30 pm

We use PlaybackPro almost daily in corporate events. We use both the thunderbolt to HDMI and then an HDMI/SDI converter from BMD as well as DVI to HDMI dongle and then the same converter. Works very reliably. We even use this setup to roll commercials to broadcast from our production trailer. More reliable and repeatable than a tape deck.

The converters reclock the digital signal at each point one of these converters (or DAs) is used so there is no signal degradation by using one. The only issue we have seen is that HDMI cables were not designed for multiple insertion/removal so they can fail. Of course, we do 4 or 5 shows per week so that is a lot of wear and tear. We just make certain we have spares.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Return to posts index

Ben King
on Nov 18, 2013 at 1:13:33 am

Thanks Jim,

We run it pretty much the same way (not as frequently as you though).

It looks like we'll just have to find some better dongles then! It's not like they are too expensive anyway.

Cheers,

Ben

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:29:16 am

We have had problems with the one piece DVI to HDMI connectors. The most reliable has been the Apple converter with the short cable. They just work!

Jim

Return to posts index

Rommie Sebo
on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:22:22 pm

Jim, was wondering if you might be able to help me. I was reading your response and saw that you are using Playback Pro with your Mac for your Corporate events which is exactly what we are doing as well. I had an older Macbook with a DVI port on it and could connect a DVI cable directly from the laptop to my Sony MCS8M video switcher(inputs are 4 HD-SDI, 3 HDMI, and 1 DVI-I). It worked fine but then we bought a new Macbook with the Thunderbolt port on it. We tried a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and ran an HDMI cable into one of the HDMI inputs on the switcher and it won't see the signal. I think it;s because of HDCP protection. Have you ever run into this sort of a problem and do you have any kind of work around. P.S. we also tried the Thunderbolt to DVI adapter and it to will not pass the signal to the switcher.

Rommie Sebo

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Dec 10, 2013 at 7:58:23 pm

I have the MacbookPro with Retina display. I connect via thunderbolt to hdmi cable routinely. My laptop has an hdmi port on it, but I could not get it to work. Did not have a lot of time to research so went the thunderbolt route. BTW Just tried the thunderbolt to DVI to HDMI and it works just fine. We use BMD switchers so one has to be careful of setting the display resolution and clock speed. Mine defats to 720 50 and we always run 1080i at 60.

Regards
Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]