FORUMS: list search recent posts

does it exists a professional H264 media player

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anhtu Vu
does it exists a professional H264 media player
on Oct 18, 2013 at 8:06:28 pm

I'm looking for a reliable professional H264 player. It needs to have component, SDI output. It could be stand-alone or computer base. Thx

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: does it exists a professional H264 media player
on Oct 19, 2013 at 12:56:05 pm

We use playbackPro from DTVideo labs on a Mac laptop. We use a Black Magic Design converter to convert from HDMI to SDI.

We roll commercials from our production truck using this setup.

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Oct 20, 2013 at 3:30:33 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions, this seems like exactly what i'm looking for. I have a few questions:

1- How reliable is this software if i use it with the latest iMac (i7, SSD, and external firewire 800 raid) ??

2- I'v been using the Kona IO XT with an Mac mini and simply use the AJATV as playback software. I come out SDI from the IO XT into our Barco (previously Folcrom) image Pro II scaler then into a 2K cinema projector. The quality is great but the only drawback is that i can't playback H264. Now, if i use the Playback Pro app, do i simply output the iMac's mini display port into the Image Pro directly ??? I guess all scaling should be done in the Barco for its pristine quality. Thx

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Oct 31, 2013 at 3:20:01 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding.

1. PlayBack Pro is one the the most solid apps I have used. It just works! Your configuration should work just fine.

2. You can use the Thunderbolt to HDMI connector to output to your system. You may need an HDMI to SDI converter based on your connection downstream. I personally prefer to drive the projector at native resolution if possible. The scaling engines in them are notoriously slow which can lead to "lip flap". I don't know about your particular projector or application. Just keep it in mind.

Regards

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index

mark fassett
on Nov 1, 2013 at 8:18:08 pm

Follow up... I too have had great experience with Playback Pro. But I just bought some new Blackmagic "ultra studio" Mini Monitors, and was thinking about using their software "Media Express" for playback. It's less flexible with formats and doesn't have the features of PBP, but does anyone have any experience as to it's reliability and suitability for the production environment?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
on Dec 8, 2013 at 6:22:38 pm

Hi Mark,

Late reply, but BM's software probably would not cut it. It accepts very few formats, and as you know, last minute changes are common in the industry.

Playback Pro is much more flexible and reliable in that sense.

Vince Becquiot

Kaptis Media

Indigo Live
San Francisco - Bay Area

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]