FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on which and how to use Projector & screen for on stage 1 man music tribute show

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hand
Advice on which and how to use Projector & screen for on stage 1 man music tribute show
on Sep 26, 2013 at 12:15:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm new and just stumbled across this forum & website whilst doing research on this topic.

I am a singer in England and wanting to start a tribute show to indie/Britpop so wanting to project images and graphics montages behind or to the side of me when performing on stage or in wedding venues.

I'm new to this area and the technology but want to try and do it.

I have approached a few sales companies in the UK who have given me a bit of advice.

I'd need a Short Throw proj and compact portable screen, i am thinking possibly rear projections as this is more professional than having a projector sat front of stage on a table visable to the audience, i am aware that these cost more..

What spect would i require in a projector and screen for this purpose or has anyone done anything similar???

I also use a Mac book so was thinking of projecting images or Slideshows from Iphoto or even Ableton Live.

I will be looking at this .

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing from you all.

Best,

Paul

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: Advice on which and how to use Projector & screen for on stage 1 man music tribute show
on Sep 29, 2013 at 1:22:11 am

The best look will be a performance in front of a rear projected screen. For this you will need a screen surface for rear projections. Virtually all projectors furnish a menu setting for rear projection.

Keep in mind that if you rear project you will need space from the projector lens to the screen surface. That distance is a function of the screen size and projector lens. If you have a projector with fixed lens (most inexpensive projectors) they will have lens in the 1.8 to 2.2 range. Multiply the width of the screen by the f factor on the lens to get the distance required. For example a screen that is 9x16 ft with an f2.0 lens would need to be 32 ft from the screen surface. Most people will use projectors with replaceable lens and then use something like a .6. In my example that would mean 9.6 ft ( 16*.6 )from screen surface to the front of the lens. You must then add the depth of the projector. (typically a couple of feet). Note that a .6 lens is quite expensive.

These calculations apply for front or rear projection. The challenge with front projection is making shadows on the screen surface as you are performing in front of it.

Regards

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Advice on which and how to use Projector & screen for on stage 1 man music tribute show
on Sep 30, 2013 at 10:05:45 pm

An LED panel or curtain would be able to go up in any venue without needing the rear-projection throw distance, but it brings up 3 immediate questions:

What kind of resolution do you get with the size you want?

How complicated is it to run?

and

Can you afford it?

I am NOT an expert on LED displays, but a casual google of wholesale LED panels and curtains from Chinese vendors suggests a price range between a grand and five-to-seven grand, which surprised me because for really good projection, you can pay that and more. For less than great projection, your screen will be fighting the rest of the stage lighting.

LED is not going to give the same resolution as the projection screen, BUT... for your particular application, the background video you license to use (and you WILL have to license it) is mostly black and white and already of low resolution. This could be considered a feature, not a bug, if you treat the video to play up contrast and even add different color layers, animations, and masks to it in the edit process. You can wind up with something very cool, evocative of the era of your tribute show, with the iconography of the old sources, but not so much detail that it dtstracts the audience from watching YOU sing. It will be bright enough to play well with the stage lighting, props, and other effects too.

This is just my personal opinion as a producer, and again, you should take advice from real staging experts regarding the affordability, portability, ease of use, etc.

Maybe you can talk to someone at one of the VER locations to give you a "test drive" of one of these systems, or just google up some video of the various manufacturer's demos.

Good luck with what sounds like a winning idea for a show.

Return to posts index

Paul Hand
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:20:23 am

Hi Mark,

Apologies for the delay in response.

Thank you so much for your valued advice and tips,

I have been thinking and looking at thenStar LED video cloth idea, i'm still in the process of research and trying to find a suitable UK dealer but they do look quite expensive and i'd like to see what i can actually design to go on the screen and if the Resolution would be big enough within my budget.

I have gone off the idea of showing video's behind me on the stage as you say it would detract from the music of the show, little graphics, writing and images are what i was thinking,
would i have to license them for e.g an image of the Bands Logo??

Thanks again and best wishes

Paul

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 9, 2013 at 9:19:39 pm

Yes, logos and photos are intellectual property and often protected by trademark and copyright. There are limits to how much you can getaway with in "quoting" lyrics as well.

Don't let that discourage you, though. Plan out the show of your dreams, your vision, as you see it, then work backwards to figure out what technical and legal issues come up and how to deal with them.

Return to posts index

Paul Hand
on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:15:32 am

Hi Jim,

Many thanks first of all for your reply and valued advice, yes the distance and throw and ratio of lense ect are all new terms to me.
I could possibly put the screen to either side of the stage if no space for it to sit behind me, as i'm only performer then don't think this would be an issue.

I have been quoted by a retailer in UK this projector. Would there be a long distance from screen to projector needed as this is a fixed lens but a short throw.
I'd be looking at a rear screen of approx 2m wide max.

best wishes

Paul

http://www.infocus.com/projectors/office-projectors/infocus-in120-projector...

Return to posts index

Pam Connolly
on Nov 16, 2015 at 4:39:31 pm

Anybody in New York available for consultation/tutorial on stage projection 101?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]