FORUMS: list search recent posts

VIdeo pause and buffer device?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike McCormack
VIdeo pause and buffer device?
on Sep 3, 2013 at 12:06:03 am

I was advised to put this in this forum by a used on another one. So please no flaming about cross posting :)

I'm not sure how far over my head I am trying to do this but here's the plan. This is how Church services are becoming these days. If this isn't the correct forum, please point me to the proper one.

The main performance has the current music and bands and is pretty loud. The older generation does not appreciate that style so a second service is set up for them in a second hall. They have their own music performances timed approximately the same as the main hall. The "Message" from the speaker is the same for both so historically the second hall tech crew watches the main hall performance through a Tivo and they pause the feed when the sermon starts. Then they signal the musicians in the second hall that they are ready to present the speaker. Then hit play on the Tivo and off they go.

I have 2 video feeds from a main building where the performance is going on, one for the stage camera and another for the Powerpoint-Like slide show. The video feed from the stage is from a Sony Video mixer and is SDI. The slide show is HDMI. The Tivo solution is problematic since the SDI signal has to be converted to RF for the Tivo input and there are artifacts that really show up on the projectors.

My big idea - that I know is technically possible - is to buy/build a box that can capture the SDI and HDMI feeds (or whatever format those need to be converted to) in real time, sync the 2 feeds so that they can play at will. I dont need a tuner or TV guide, I don't need to archive or save the video nor to I want to stream it outside the building, this is entirely local. I thinks its called "time shifting". (cute).

This needs to be simple to use since it will be used by volunteers. Its gotta be simple.

I am looking for ideas to pull this off, free, not free, professional, home built. I am open to all.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: VIdeo pause and buffer device?
on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:03:16 am

You seem to require 2 types of inputs to the switcher - SDI and HDMI. It would be easier to find a suitable switcher, and less expensive, if you can standardise the inputs, eg. all SDI, or all HDMI.

Check out the Kramer switchers. More expensive are those from Analogway and Extron.

Additionally, be aware that seamless switchers (which switch without a glitch/momentary black-out) are ideal for live work but more expensive.

Also, I would be more cautious with the Blackmagic Design Mini Recorder which has both SDI and HDMI inputs. According to the guys at Dataton (http://forum.dataton.com/topic/1043-blackmagic-decklink-mini-recorder-caution/) -
"While on the surface it looks like a perfect replacement for a Blackmagic Intensity Pro, with one HDMI input and one 1.5G HDSDI input (not to be used simultaneously), it brings some caveats.
The HDMI input ONLY accepts an YUV-signal, NOT a RGB-signal, as Intensity Pro can, meaning most computer sources are not possible to use with this card."

Though they tested the PCI-e version of the mini recorder, the specs seem the same as the standalone version. So the caveat should not be ignored for both versions.

Additionally, BMD equipment are mostly intended for the production or studio environment, not live presentation market. They are attractively priced though, but check/double-check before you commit.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Mike McCormack
on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:20:18 am

Thank you for the reply however my concern is AFTER the switcher. The video switching occurs in another building, I just have to pause (and buffer) the video in my building until the people in my building are ready to see it.
The Video comes out of the switcher as SDI-HD but the powerpoint slides are on another machine that outputs HDMI or DVI. Different people run each one. It appears that at best I can only hope to capture and buffer the one video feed, adding the powerpoint slides as a second synchronized feed may be a pipe dream for my kind of budget. But I am still looking for the first solution.

Return to posts index

Ron Swanson
on Apr 27, 2015 at 6:30:31 pm

Wondering what solution you settled on in your "time shifting" of your church service....I have the same situation and I have it set up with a Blackmagic STEM TV studio, sending a feed to the other room, and now I need to DVR the stream, so I can pause the playback for about 3 minutes, before starting the playback. Also have an iMac to receive the signal with a thunderbolt blackmagic capture device.
Would like software for the mac to handle the capture and playback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]