FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two Camcorders and a Projector for Live Sports Video Analysis?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Lewis
Two Camcorders and a Projector for Live Sports Video Analysis?
on Aug 20, 2013 at 3:40:20 pm

Thanks in advance for your help.
Here is what I would like to do. In front of an audience produce a slow motion stroke analysis of a tennis player while at the same time producing the video to burn to DVD for that player. The trick is my set up needs to be mobile. Here is my probably awful idea so far.

1. Plug a camcorder into a projector and control the camcorder with a remote. The camcorder/remote HAS to have frame advance for sports analysis (So far I have been unable to find an HD camcorder with a remote that advances frame by frame. Then have a second standard definition camcorder recording the projected video and the live analysis that the speaker is doing. That way I can just take the fille off the SD cam and burn it right to a DVD. Well? What do you think!?

Anyone have a better idea? I don't even know if it's possible to plug an HD camcorder into a projector. I assume it is. Then will the projected image be clear enough to record a second video off of? Lastly if you agree with my attempted method, does anyone know where I can get an HD cam with a remote that advances frame by frame?

Thanks again for anything you can give me!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Two Camcorders and a Projector for Live Sports Video Analysis?
on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:52:07 pm

I wouldn't call myself an expert on this, but if it was my project, what I would try is a hard disk recorder designed for slo-mo. There are purpose-built units for this, but I don't have a brand name for you.

But...

I know that Newtek (The Video Toaster People) sells one of these, called the 3play. If you combine it with their Tricaster or Toaster product, you can do "telestrator" type on-screen annotations and stuff, while jogging the video back and forth, frame-by-frame. The tricaster/toaster comes with software to edit and burn video to a DVD or streaming video file, so there's your choices for "printing" a "hardcopy" of your sports analysis.

Newtek is supposed to debut some new gear next week, so I'd wait to see that that is, but in the meanwhile, you might look over their web site

Return to posts index

Jeff Lewis
on Aug 24, 2013 at 11:44:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Mark! Not sure i can afford to spend that much quite yet but you have definitely opened my eyes to exactly how deep the technology rabbit hole goes.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 25, 2013 at 12:20:13 am

Well, there's the possibility of rentals too.

What makes your project expensive is doing parts of it in real time. If you didn't need to do any part of it in real time, then it would be an order of magnitude cheaper.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:50:24 am

I'm no expert in these either, but from experience, recording off a screen from a projector rarely gives good quality results versus the recorded file from a camera.

Having said that, you may want to have look at VidBlaster, maybe the Studio version which has switcher and preview features. There is a demo download available. Price seem reasonable.

Thoams Leong

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 25, 2013 at 4:56:15 am

Rather than record the screen with a camera, use the VGS out to feed into a scan converter, that's around 100 bucks and up, the scan converter then feeds into a recorder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]