FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video playback

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Wood
Video playback
on Aug 11, 2013 at 10:06:28 pm

Can anyone recommend a simple system for playback of video/audio files for a live theatre event where i would need a modicum of control as live performers timings not fixed. I need to be able to make a 'playlist' of video files (of potentially different aspect ratios and resolutions) and have 'pause' or 'jump to next video controls' and NOT show any controls on the audience screen. To playback from 1 laptop only, no graphics or fancy presentation FX needed.
I just need a cheap, simple system eg.the likes of Playback Pro look great but far too sophisticated for my needs i suspect. Would something like Powerpoint or Keynote suffice? Or can anyone suggest anything appropriate?
Thanks!

MacPro 12core; 12GB Ram; 2TB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.8) FCP 7, DVDSP 4
MacBook Pro OSX (10.7.4)

Return to posts index

Bill Lewis
Re: Video playback
on Aug 13, 2013 at 2:19:33 pm

Well heck yea Qlab http://figure53.com is a great choice indeed! See their web site for more information.

Best,

Bill

Corporate Live Event Media Play-out and Collection
billlewis.info

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Aug 14, 2013 at 6:39:45 pm

vlc from vlc.org. Free!!

Need to delve into the Tools > Preference > Interface or Video menu to set it to always start in fullscreen mode on the 'second monitor' (determined by X pixels away from the first monitor, essentially 1st monitor horizontal resolution + 1 pixel), as well as playlist and controls always in view, etc. and learn the essential shortcut keys for your purpose.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Michael Samarin
on Aug 29, 2013 at 10:25:47 am

Andy,

for such simple needs and only single laptop playback I would really recommend just Keynote or PowerPoint with embedded videos. I had no problems embedding up to 1080p H246 encoded video files into my presentations. On more or less recent MacBook (2 - 3 years old), you can expect smooth video playback on presentation screen, and have controls and presenter view on laptop screen. Even if overall presentation size will go way over 1GB or more, it is not a problem.

If needed, you can also jump directly to specific slide with embedded video, without exiting presentation mode.

If you will use PowerPoint on Mac, make sure that for every embedded video in "Format Movie" tab use "Play Full Screen" in "Playback Options". It will make playback much smoother and will use correct letter boxing if your video is not the same aspect ratio with slides.

Best,
Michael

Software for multi-screen shows and presentations
http://www.keywebx.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]