FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting live stage event and using a provided live recorded audio track

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Mathews
Shooting live stage event and using a provided live recorded audio track
on Jun 12, 2013 at 1:31:17 pm

Hi guys! I'm looking for a second set of eyes to look at what I want to do and see if I am forgetting anything, here it goes...

I have a couple friends who want me to shoot a video of their live stage variety show. This show includes a band and singing, so the audio is very important to them (as it should be). They have a sound guy who will be recording and mixing the audio from the show and giving me a file.

I will be recording the show with (2) Canon 5DMKII's, GoPro and a Canon XF105. I own PluralEyes and will also have Adobe Premiere CC next week, so I plan to use one of them to sync everything together using my scratch audio from each cam.

I do this all the time with interview footage and separate audio, so I feel this should work fine. Can anyone see anything I am forgetting? I don't want any surprises after the fact!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Shooting live stage event and using a provided live recorded audio track
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:22:05 pm

Coordination among camera operators is critical. Ordinarily this is accomplished with comm and a video director calling the shots, but if you won't have that, you need to work out a set of rules ahead of time.

You need a plan for who is responsible for what shots. It's just as bad when everyone takes a CU of the guitar solo as it is when no one does. You also need a plan for coordinating card swaps so you only have one camera down at a time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Mathews
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:30:52 pm

Thanks Walter, all great information. Do you have any experience with syncing the professionally recorded audio with your video?

Return to posts index

Chris Mathews
on Jun 18, 2013 at 12:34:10 am

Anyone have any experience with syncing the professionally recorded audio with your video?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 18, 2013 at 1:16:25 am

[Chris Mathews] "Anyone have any experience with syncing the professionally recorded audio with your video?"

You'll probably get a better answer on this in the Premiere forum -- this one focuses on live events and doesn't really delve into post-production issues.

I've used PluralEyes several times with great success. I'd think this would work fine, but this is not my speciality.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Chris Mathews
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:03:09 am

I'm sorry, I should of been more specific. Has anyone had any experience syncing their video to a provided mixed sound file? I use PluralEyes all the time to sync audio from a shotgun mic to a 2-3 camera setup, but don't feel confident that the scratch audio from my camera will sync up with a sound file that has been professionally mixed from a live stage show. Maybe I am over thinking it and it will work fine? I've been known to do that sometimes.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:27:33 am

[Chris Mathews] "I'm sorry, I should of been more specific. Has anyone had any experience syncing their video to a provided mixed sound file? I use PluralEyes all the time to sync audio from a shotgun mic to a 2-3 camera setup, but don't feel confident that the scratch audio from my camera will sync up with a sound file that has been professionally mixed from a live stage show. Maybe I am over thinking it and it will work fine? I've been known to do that sometimes."

I do think it will work, provided you don't overdrive your on-camera records, but this is exactly the question I'd take to a more post-oriented forum.

If you're really worried, you could send the mix from the board to the cameras with wireless transmitters/receivers.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]