FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Webcast setup for title & recordings

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Fritscher
Live Webcast setup for title & recordings
on Jun 5, 2013 at 2:42:32 pm

Hello,
we are producing webcasts of sports events with a low budget setup which does have a few limitations. We currently use:

- 4 JVC HM-100 cameras with blackmagic mini converters to HD-SDI
- 1 Panasonic HMX100 mixer
- 1 Macbook pro connected to the mixer via DVI to include pre-produced clips
- 1 MacBook Pro with Matrox MX02 with BoinxTV for titles and streaming

The reason for using BoinxTV is that the keying capabilities of the HMX100 are really bad. So far I found no way to include decent titles, logos and lower thirds other than feeding the mixed HD-SDI stream into Boinxtv and overlaying the graphics there. This works rather well, but I noticed a few things:

- BoinxTV doesn't like big projects. It's prone to crashes when used with a lot of external media, titles, logos and animations
- Also BoinxTV doesn't output a steady framerate, which results in a "jumpy" picture when fed into Flash media encoder

On the other hand, this setup has a few advantages:
- BoinxTV can record my entire stream in highest quality
- the titling features are amazing

But framerate and crashes remain the problem, so I am looking for a way to improve my setup with out having to sell my first born for a Tricaster.

My questions are:
- Is there a title generator that can output something that will be usable with my HMX100? I read about ProPresenter which can output alpha channels for linear keying with special hardware but the software didn't look as flexible for graphic animation and titles.
- Is there perhaps a budget mixer with at least 4 HD-SDI inputs that has better keying abilities or something that can integrate computer graphics better? Ideally I would use BoinxTV to only create graphics and key those over the stream in the mixer.
- Are there other setups I need to know about?
Sorry for the lengthy post. I am looking forward to some ideas!
Thanks,
thomas

Return to posts index

Martin Kraut
Re: Live Webcast setup for title & recordings
on Jun 11, 2013 at 10:06:04 am

Hi Thomas,
have a look at vmix. Its a low Budget Mixing Software with Titling,Scoreboard,Desktop Capture,Virtual Set and also Recording/Streaming-Support. It also supports Blackmagic Cards as Input devices (eg decklink duo/quad). You can download a demo Version to find out if this is a solution for you.I made some tests with it and i´m very impressed.I wouldn´t use it in Broadcast Environments but in Streaming situations it is a great tool
http://www.vmix.com.au

Best Regards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]