FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Frame Matching Two Shots on set - Something simpler than a switcher?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall McDonald
Live Frame Matching Two Shots on set - Something simpler than a switcher?
on Apr 10, 2013 at 8:54:44 pm

Hi Guys!

First post. Long time reader. Having some trouble with this one though.

This isn't for a live event but the hardware can be seen as such.

My setup:
-2x Canon c-300's with hd-sdi / hdmi out
-17" panasonic monitor (hd-sdi in)
-whatever I need to achieve the following...

I am building an interactive piece that requires some very detailed frame matching between two video clips . The shooting scenario is basically:

Shot 1 - 20 second *handheld* shot walking into a room, taking a semi-static position in room, and locking down as much as possible to line up for shot 2

Shot 2 - Camera is now on tripod - transition here needs to be seamless. Goal is to try and match the last frame of shot 1 as exact as possible to the first frame of shot 2. I understand there may need to be a little dissolve in post to keep it clean, but the idea is to frame match the hell out of this.

I need it close to exact. So my thought is to live onionskin / overlay the two frames on a single monitor to match this as closely as possible. To achieve this I'm thinking:

Capture shot 1 on camera A.
Pull that card, load it up on Camera B.
Setup shot 2 on Camera A, on tripod.
So I have playback of shot 1 on Camera B, and live view of shot 2 on Camera A - from there, both cameras run into a switcher / mixer where I crossfade between the two @ 50%, essentially onionskinning them to a live monitor.

I feel like there may be a simpler way, but that's the best I got. I need to move quick as there are a few of these happening throughout the day. So I'd like to avoid any card dumping and post-production scenarios.

Cheap is good though, and this doesn't sound like the most affordable approach.
Any suggestions would be great.

Best,
Marshall

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Live Frame Matching Two Shots on set - Something simpler than a switcher?
on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:28:06 pm

Is this effect you're trying to do like the HP commercials with the picture frames, or more like the running up the steps to the bathroom mirror scene from "Contact"?

Return to posts index

Marshall McDonald
on Apr 11, 2013 at 8:35:22 pm

I would say closer to the HP commercials, for sure.

Specifically: I'm walking up to a computer monitor with the screen chroma greened. I get settled on the frame and cut. Then get camera on sticks and match the second shot as close as possible to the first, fixed on that screen. I did a trial today and it's pretty damn tough to match up exactly without an overlay or onionskin of some sort.

There are no moving pieces in the frame, I just need to match up static elements within the shot.

Thanks Mark!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 11, 2013 at 9:40:54 pm

The HP effect is done (in a simplified manner) by shooting the segments in reverse order, then digitally gluing the last frame to the first frame of the next shot. Shoot in reverser order, edit in forward order. Youtube has examples if you do a search for HP Frames effect or variations on that term. Is this what you're getting at?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]