FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live streaming

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zara Macalister
Live streaming
on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:56:36 am

I am trying to find out if it would be possible to live stream a wedding over the internet. More details: My brother lives on the other side of the world and is getting married later this year. I would like to be able to stream the ceremony over the internet for the few people who can't make it. I also want to use this as a trial so it could perhaps become a service I can offer to wedding clients in the future. I'm panning to just use the camera static on a tripod, so not too much movement but will need audio. He's not paying so no real budget : (

I have a macbook with FCP, radio mics, a canon XF100 (although I would rather not take this if I can use something else) I am planning to buy a Go Pro camera and/or a consumer level hd video camera.

From what I understand the Go Pro can stream to the mac, but can't then stream to the net at the same time?

The macbook could stream to the internet using some software (any suggestions on free software for this job?) but how do I get HD video into the mac? Which camera/wires would I need?

I would rather not spend money on equipment I may not use again, but I am open to suggestions if there is a camcorder I can buy that will do the job.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Zara

Return to posts index

Clifford Steinberg
Re: Live streaming
on Mar 15, 2013 at 8:18:23 pm

You can use Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder for a free encoding software, however, I've never used it on a Mac..

As for getting the video into your computer, you may have to purchase some kind of USB video dongle or find a camera with firewire out to go straight in.

Do you know what kind of internet connection you will have? To stream HD video, you should have atleast 1.5Mbps upload speed for 720 and more for 1080.

Also, where do you plan on showing your video? Are you using UStream or JustinTV or something? Or do you have your own webpage?

Another thing to think about is the people viewing the stream. What kind of connection speeds do they have? Will they be viewing it on computers or mobile devices?

Cliff Steinberg
Rent Com, Inc.
http://www.rentcom.com
Chicago

Return to posts index

Zara Macalister
on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:54:13 am

Thanks Cliff,

These are exactly the sort of pointers I needed. You have given me plenty to research!

For the camera - I don't actually have a firewire in on my laptop, are there any other options? What's the USB video dongle you mentioned?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Clifford Steinberg
on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:18:33 am

The USB dongle allows for audio and video into your computer. Just Google "USB video capture" for some examples. I think the only other way to get audio and video into your laptop would be to replace the video card, which seems a little intense.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cliff Steinberg
Rent Com, Inc.
http://www.rentcom.com
Chicago

Return to posts index

Zara Macalister
on Mar 19, 2013 at 10:02:22 am

Thanks Cliff,

I'll look into these options and I'll get in touch if I have any more questions.

Thanks
Zara

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]