FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a gopro hero3 black's wifi for live video

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Etcheverry
Using a gopro hero3 black's wifi for live video
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:09:36 pm

Where I work we just got a gopro hero 3 black (well, waiting for delivery), and we're thinking of different ways to do it.

One thing we'd like to see if it's possible is to use the wifi as a way to stream video live (or at least with a smallish delay). We have a LED screen setup in such a way that if we see video on the PC screen in any way, it can be displayed on the giant screen, but the app that the gopro uses for wifi seems to be tablet/smartphone only. I was thinking of using a software like Bluestacks to emulate it on a PC, so was just wondering if anyone has tried that before.

The other thing is about range. One event where we plan on using the camera is an open water competition that's coming soon, so we can get some underwater and close up shots of the swimmers. We want, if we could, to be able to display at least some of those in the giant screen, main problem is the range. The starting point is on the other side of the river from where we will be located (on the finish line), and it's over 3 kilometers away. Of course, the camera will not go as far, but was wondering if anyone has tried to do long range communication with a simmilar camera using high gain antennas or something like that. Two advantages are that since it's a river, there's LOS all the way to the other side, and since it's a little bit on the outside of the city, there'll be no interference from other signals.

So, my question is... is it even possible to do something like that?

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: Using a gopro hero3 black's wifi for live video
on Feb 24, 2013 at 3:20:53 pm

I got one to play with a couple of weeks ago. I wanted the remote viewing in order to frame shots for video and for a menu to set it up. Here is what I found:

1. Range. I can go about 4 meters to my iPad. The manual indicates heavy battery consumption while running in the WiFi mode and it is definitely a low power device. I don't think you would ever see more than about 15 ft out of the device.
2. Delay is in the 3-4 seconds range.

The Picture quality is phenominal for a device of this size and price. I think the remote WiFi was intended for the purpose I was looking for. That is, a remote configuration panel and preview for framing. That is really great when setting the zoom steps.

I am quite pleased, but I think you will be disappointed if you want remote transmission capability. If you want that look at the Teradek. http://www.teradek.com

Regards
Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]