FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turntable studio

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wesley Blokker
Turntable studio
on Jan 18, 2013 at 3:13:14 pm

Hey CC,

I doubt whether this is the right forum to post in but I couldn't find one that would be more appropriate then this.

I want to build a turntable studio myself. This would mean a table in the middle on which I can place products that will turn around (max 10kilos) and a white or green studio build around it.

For the turntable I got it all covered I think. I thought of doing it this way:

However for the studio I have no clue where to start. What fabric do I use to build with? How do I light the object (I saw that some people like to light the object trough the fabric, why is this?)

Any advice is most welcome!

Thanks!

Time is a valuable teacher, unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Turntable studio
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:01:29 pm

Keep watching those old Digital Juice videos - they have a lot of good basic information, presented well. You should particularly watch the ones on lighting. Then you'll understand why diffusion material in front of the light creates a soft, shadowless light that's flattering on many subjects.

For making a greenscreen studio, you need that green to be very evenly and flatly lit, with no areas that stand out. Diffused lighting helps to do that. You light the green separate from the product or actor.

Green or blue photographer's background paper rolls are around sixty dollars thru camera supply stores.

You can get the green or blue cloth many places online or at a local sewing store, but the bolts of cloth at the store will need to be sewn together to make them wide enough for many keying tasks. Alternately, RoseBrand in New York sells extra-wide green screen material, and I find their prices reasonable. check their web site.

Cloth is light and easy to put up, take down, and transport. Paper is cheap and fragile but disposable and light. Painted walls can work if the paint is flat and you don't mind the look. If you want something more permanent, You can use the back side of vinyl sheet flooring, primed with Kilz brand latex primer and then painted, and this will make a cove without a horizon (called a limbo cove) in white or green, you can walk on and put furniture on, etc. without fear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]