FORUMS: list search recent posts

$8k Full video set up

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Stuckart
$8k Full video set up
on Sep 11, 2012 at 4:52:09 am

Hello, I'm with a high school media program and we recently got 8K to spend on video equipment. As small as we know the budget is, the administration doesn't seem to think so, so we are gonna take what we are given and maximize its effectiveness. We will be working with out outrageous demands, crappy environments for video, and little to no pay, but we love what we do and need to make the budget work. We are thinking of going with one of Black Magics rack mount switchers and purchasing a imac to go along with it. We have a Mac book pro at our disposal, so one would be prepping images and the other would be switching. We also have prosumer camcorders that output mini HDMI and component/composite.

Our needs are 3 camera shoot minimum, preferably 4, we will need to run long runs of cable, (around 160 feetish.) Best solution we have seen is adapting the mini HDMI to full size HDMI and converting it to run over Cat5e so we can make custom length cables for our needs at a very inexpensive price.

Another goal we have is a live stream set up which can potentially get us sponsors and more money to dump back into the program.

Other then that are needs are really open ended, we would like to fit some sort of audio delay box into that in-case the video is delayed compared to the audio, maybe a mackie 1202 incase we have to handle sound ourselves, a few wireless mics? I know the audio piece probably won't happen but its almost a need for atleast one if we want to do live sports broadcast.

Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Stuckart
Re: $8k Full video set up
on Sep 12, 2012 at 4:38:50 am

Also looking into professional grade wireless transmitters for our cameras? Just curious what a set up would cost per camera.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Sep 18, 2012 at 4:50:43 pm

[Michael Stuckart] "Also looking into professional grade wireless transmitters for our cameras? Just curious what a set up would cost per camera."

the cheapest "Pro" wirelees you will find is the IDX camwave which is around 5K and requires HDSDI signels

I'm a little confused about your initial post. Are you saying you have all the other equipment ATEM switcher, cameras, Imac, and you still have 8k to spend or are you asking is 8k enough to get the equipment you have listed?

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Michael Stuckart
on Sep 20, 2012 at 1:19:13 am

8K was our total budget but it is to late now, due to pressure of the district we had to pull the trigger on a system we thought would work. What we have going is we have 4 Canon cameras outputting HDMI to Blackmagic battery powered HDMI to HD-SDI converters. From there we feed them to our ATEM Mixer, which will then feed a Blackmagic Extreme capture device through thunderbolt, which will be in line with our projector. The Capture device will hook to our Imac to capture/Stream. Our obstacle now is getting our Imac to Capture AND Stream at the same time.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Sep 20, 2012 at 1:31:59 am

Sorry, It seems like you have a decent basic set up going though. If you can't get you card to stream and capture at the same time you may see if you can use adobe to help. If its possible see if you can get adobes master suite on your iMac. I know they have great deals on educational institutions. If you can you may be able to use that flash encoder and create a stream out that way then use the black magic software just for capture. Not sure if the iMac is beefy enough to run this but it's a option to explore if you can't get you other way to work.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Michael Stuckart
on Sep 20, 2012 at 1:53:55 am

No need to be sorry, this forum is EXTREMELY helpful and I am thankful for any help that i receive by reading other threads or peoples responses to my own.

That sounds like a good idea, using Adobe. What I was thinking about doing is using a Telestream wirecast demo and seeing how we liked that and if it would do what we wanted.
http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/overview.htm

From what a couple people have told us and with a little research what we found is that the Blackmagic capture devices can only be accessed by one program, so running two programs will be conflicting which is why Wirecast looks like a good option. Supposedly it can Stream and record at the same time, the only question is will it stream to our desired outlets which is why we will be testing a trial version. :)

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Sep 20, 2012 at 2:17:42 am

Telestream products are very good. While I have never used wire cast we do have quite a bit of there other products and they all work as advertised. Also there customer support is very good as well. Good luck!

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Michael Stuckart
on Sep 20, 2012 at 2:22:58 am

Thank you sir!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Sep 20, 2012 at 3:34:40 am

For streaming, I have been quite happy with my Livestream Broadcaster. Inexpensive, very simple to use, it saves your video to the cloud and we've had viewers around the world enjoying their families live events.

I'm not sure if it fits your needs but it might be worth checking out-

http://new.livestream.com/broadcast-live/livestream-broadcaster

Also, I use the Mackie 1402 VLZ3, which I would recommend over the 1202. If nothing else, just for the faders instead of knobs. Of course extra inputs are always nice too.

FWIW, here is my setup for multicam live switch and streaming-

Sony NX5's
Panasonic AW-HS50 Switcher
AJA Ki Pro
Mackie 1402 VLZ3
Livestream Broadcaster
AJA Hi-5's (one to the Broadcaster and one to a monitor in another room)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]