FORUMS: list search recent posts

drum machine track not syncing with live recording - Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Oxley
drum machine track not syncing with live recording - Final Cut Pro 7
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:50:27 pm

Hello, I have a real conundrum, and will be very impressed if someone can help. I am producing a live performance video for a band that uses drum machines. I would love to add the drum machines to the audio track to bring them out more/improve overall sound quality. However, despite making sure all the audio tracks are 48khz/16-bit, the drum machine track does not sync up with the rest. It might even be drifting in and out. I can't really see a way out of this.

I used a Zoom H4n as an ambient mic mixed with a mono feed from the sound desk, and I'm editing with Final Cut Pro. The audio tracks from the Zoom sync perfectly with the camera sound. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: drum machine track not syncing with live recording - Final Cut Pro 7
on Sep 10, 2012 at 5:20:23 pm

I'd suggest you cut in the drum machine track and compare its waveforms to the original audio -- you may be able to see where the slippage occurs.

I'd also suggest you take this over to the FCP forum. There are a lot more editors (and several audio experts) there who may have other suggestions.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andy Oxley
Re: drum machine track not syncing with live recording - Final Cut Pro 7
on Sep 11, 2012 at 11:52:06 am

Thanks Walter, I'll take a look. The drum machines the band use are midi-powered, and they've suggested this might be causing inconsistencies in timing. If this is the case, and I can see where there is a slippage, is there any way out, or will I have to concede? I suppose I could start cutting up the drum track and trying to match it if I'm feeling meticulous...?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]