FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi camera editing of live events... is there an easier way?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Etcheverry
Multi camera editing of live events... is there an easier way?
on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:22:42 pm

Greetings.

Part of my job is to edit concerts or other live events recorded with multiple cameras.... and invariably I always end up yelling and cursing at the cameramen that do cuts with no apparent reason to it, which means that when I'm syncing the cameras I end up having to find where the cut was made and resyncing, losing time, so for a long event with lots (4+) of cameras it's normal that I can spend several days trying to sync them all, and then do the actual edit in a day or so.

I understand cutting when they have to change a battery, or they need a new tape... but I don't understand when, for example, a camera stops recording and starts again like 15 seconds later in the middle of a tape, and no matter how many times I've told them not to do this (well, not the camera people directly, but the ones in charge of the events) seems that it will continue happening unless I'm physically there to bap them in the head anytime they do a cut like that.

Ok, end rant... so my question is... is that the nature of the beast or is there a better, easier (or faster) way to sync up several cameras like that?.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Multi camera editing of live events... is there an easier way?
on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:48:55 pm

If you are running FCP7 take a look at Pural Eyes. One of its main functions is taking a cameras with a lot of Starts and a stops and syncing them up in a Multicam sequence.

you have to make sure all of the cameras are recording Audio though. as it is using the waveforms to create the syncs. for the limited use that i have had it gerenally have good results.

I beleive they have been recently purchased by Red giant, and i also think they have made a version for FCPX and Avid.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Multi camera editing of live events... is there an easier way?
on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:55:51 pm

Another Idea,

If you are working with tape based cameras and they can be timecode sync, then when you are ingesting your tapes each time the camera starts and stops act as if its a sepreate camera angle. when when you set up your multicam you will group using timecode how many cameras you have equates to how many times the cameras start and stopped, but the NLE will only play back the active camera angles at that given point in the timecode. so your bandwith and compute resources aren't taxed anymore then they would have been.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]