FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording to thumb drive

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Asselin
recording to thumb drive
on Jun 5, 2012 at 7:21:31 am

I have a job coming up requiring the recording of presentations of up to 2 hours in length with it being very important the speaker gets a copy of the presentation immedaitely after they are finished.

I am recording SD and considering my options. Has anyone ever recorded directly to a flash (thumb) drive and just handed it over?

Thanks for your time;

Dan

Return to posts index

Matt Townley
Re: recording to thumb drive
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:55:18 pm

Never done it, but even just the thought of it scares me. I wouldn't rely on it. If it's THAT important, I would rather rely on a known-good method to record the file to hard drive or a faster form of SSD and then spend the time to copy it to the thumb drive. If you are really curious, I would try it a few times with the exact setup you would use and see how it goes. Maybe it will work ok, but I wouldn't assume so without trying it first. Can you record to DVD or tape for them? That could be done in real time.

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:18:43 pm

I think you're right. I'll just stick to recording direct to hard drive. Thanks for your time. Dan

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 6, 2012 at 2:31:55 pm

I would bring a DVD recorder to the gig and the guy only needs to wait long enough for the disk to finalize. For a 2-hour DVD, that's usually less than a minute. They take longer to finalize, the less material is on the disk.

Such recorders are under a hundred bucks without a tuner from Walmart, etc.

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:10:59 pm

Sounds like a good idea. TX

Return to posts index

Philip Haynes
on Jun 8, 2012 at 3:11:01 pm

Dan

Been using one of these:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/h264prorecorder/

Component in plus analogue audio in(which works well) or SDI/HDSDI in but you will need a way to embed the audio in before the H264 recorder.

Used them on concerts for the artist to review the show, seem to be solid little boxes.

Phil
Philip G Haynes
Live Visual Design and Direction

Return to posts index

Dan Asselin
on Jun 9, 2012 at 11:57:54 am

Looks like an excellent option......with a lot of different uses...thanks

Dan

Return to posts index

Matthew Richie
on Jun 6, 2013 at 2:01:34 pm

Does anybody know of a hand held audio recorder that records directly to a thumb drive?
I have a friend who travels training people to manually drill wells in remote places, and he wants to be able to do a training session then hand the people he trained a recording of the session as soon as it's finished.
Thanks for any ideas

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 6, 2013 at 5:22:56 pm

No, but many such record to SDHC cards, which are cheap at Walgreens in the smaller sizes... he could record audio to the card and hand the card off. Users can read those into their computers with a $5 reader, some computers already have a reader slot, and for the luddites, the photo kiosk at Walgreens reads these cards and can probably burn them to a CD.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Jun 6, 2013 at 5:33:41 pm

Some have built-in flash memory, and/or stores to SD card. Don't see any that can record direct to an external flash though -

http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/compare-portable-recorders.html

There are 2 pages there, and some should have released new models by now, eg. Olympus LS-11 over the LS-10.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]