FORUMS: list search recent posts

Composite video cable types for broadcast

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Maskey
Composite video cable types for broadcast
on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:38:14 pm

Hi,

Firstly thanks for all the excellent information on this forum. I've built a live streaming system from scratch using 4 canon XL2s into a tricked out computer running vidblaster to broadcast sports events with a simple and very mobile setup.

We've been using coax cable available to us but need to upgrade and get our own. I have been trying to determine the best quality cable for value to send composite video from the XL2s to the computer. The lengths are generally 50m but sometimes up to 100m. We have a max budget of £200 and i was expecting to get 6 x 50m lengths to give some flexibility. The cables are also going to be packed and unpacked regularly and need to be flexible enough to be run around stadiums and sports grounds.

Any advice would be great, there is a lot of conflicting information on what is required.

Cheers

Rich

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
Re: Composite video cable types for broadcast
on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:39:37 pm

Hi Rich,

I believe the general consensus is that both RG59 and RG6 would be acceptable types of cable for your use. If there is a chance that you will be upgrading your system to support HD-SDI signals in the future, I would suggest spending the money on the RG6 cable. It won't be as flexible as the RG59, which may be a concern for you, but it is rated for HD-SDI signals, so it will still be useful if you ever upgrade.

If you think you're going to be living in the composite video world for the foreseeable future, the RG59 cable will do just fine.

The Belden 1694A (RG-6 Type) or Belden 1505A (RG-59 Type) are generally regarded as some of the highest quality cables that money can buy. Canare also makes a really nice cable.

Just remember, not all cables are made equal! I suppose you could argue that this is less of an issue with a standard def composite video signal, but cheap cables won't be worth the savings if they make your final product look like crap... not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know!

Good Luck!

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 16, 2012 at 9:20:13 am

I am a big fan of Belden 1505a (solid bare copper, foil and braid shields) and 1505f (Bare compacted copper, double braid shield, more flexible). IMO buy an appropriate length of cable to cut the individual lengths needed (I've bought from markertec), buy crimp tools and terminate the ends yourself. Having the tools and ability to easily re-terminate a cable is quite valuable when out on the field.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think RG59 is the "proper" cable for this application, vs RG6.

Return to posts index

Richard Maskey
on Feb 16, 2012 at 6:46:11 pm

Thanks for the advice, ordered some 1505F cable from markertek.

Cheers!!

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Feb 22, 2012 at 2:59:57 pm

Make sure and buy RCA to BNC adaptors, Unless you are getting your Cable stricly RCA, Which i would discourage, BNC is indusrty Stadard but i think the XL2 only had RCA outs on it. i could be wrong if i am disregard this message :)

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Ronnie Trinidad
on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:41:41 pm

http://my.creativecow.net/227234

May I know your set up and how to run it? I would like to build one for our events. Hope you can get back to me soon. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]