FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode Distribution

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rozon
Timecode Distribution
on Feb 2, 2012 at 8:03:23 pm

I need to have matching timecode on multiple cameras and iso decks.

We have an audio mobile truck coming in (pro tools rig)who will be generating the LTC from Telcom Research – T5010. This unit outputs ballanced XLR. All my video gears TC inputs are BNC connectors.

What kind of DA do I require in order to feed all my cams and decks from this single XLR ballanced line?

Any input would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bruce Wheaton
Re: Timecode Distribution
on Feb 7, 2012 at 11:34:32 pm

You can use an audio DA or a video DA. Timecode is most similar to an audio signal, and apart from it being best to avoid passing it through transformers (which try to reject DC, a central part of LTC timecode), you can treat is as a line level audio signal, including balancing and unbalancing it and adjusting levels. It also happens to be close enough to an analog video signal to use a VDA.

You can also get away with splitting the signal passively, for instance with an XLR Y cable.

Here's a specific recommendation: use a balanced audio DA with XLRs, and ideally level control on each output. Use XLR to BNC, or XLR to RCA with BNC adaptors to feed your decks (some decks may have XLR or RCA inputs). Don't be afraid to throw a few XLR Y's in if it makes cabling easier, especially if two decks are near each. *Do not* try to use any decks timecode output, loop-out or similar to feed other decks.

Bruce

Regards,

Bruce Wheaton
http://www.synchromeshDDR.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]