FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording Software HD

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Von Konsky
Recording Software HD
on Dec 31, 2011 at 11:44:58 pm

Hello everyone, I have a pretty basic question. What is a good direct-to-computer HD editing/recording software. My Church wants to be able to record sermons directly to a computer via firewire, add an introduction, and put them online. We're on a budget of about $120 dollars. Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Recording Software HD
on Jan 2, 2012 at 5:34:55 am

are you wanting to capture it as a editble file to be used in a something like final cut? are you coming directly off a camera? are you SD or HD? How professional of quailty are you wanting? $120 won't get you very much.

Also Firewire is a dying format when it come to capture, which is why i ask are you coming directly off of a camera.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Justin Von Konsky
on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:20:47 pm

Yes something like final cut but cheaper. And yes we're coming off a HD camera on to a pc as a vtr kinda. Surely something like Premiere Elements can handle it right?

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jan 3, 2012 at 12:54:38 am

Hi Justin
I'm not versed in the PC world, but yes, Movie Maker will do this. Can you give more details?

Assuming:
Single camera via firewire to PC.
Simply record the sermon in HD.
Add a pre-recorded graphic or introductory clip (may be audio and video).
Export for Youtube.
Are you doing any true editing like adding titles, shortening segments, adjusting audio?
Still simple in MovieMaker. (Obviously easier with something more pro, but these tools will work.)
The longest part is exporting your final video.

The most simple way I would do this on a MAC (and may be the same for PC) is to use QuicktimePRO, $29. Simply record and save your sermon, record and save the introduction. Open the sermon movie; open the intro movie; "select all" in the intro; copy the movie to clipboard; click on the sermon movie; put the playhead at the beginning and paste in the intro; no transition between the 2 clips, but done. (You can trim the beginning and end of each video as needed before you combine them.) Do a "save as" and choose settings that match where you are uploading; YT settings are here http://bit.ly/vnMSXt . IF you are doing no editing,simply record in the upload format to begin with and save the encode step.

Steve

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:01:57 pm

[Justin Von Konsky] "Yes something like final cut but cheaper. And yes we're coming off a HD camera on to a pc as a vtr kinda. Surely something like Premiere Elements can handle it right?"

There's a trial available for Premiere Elements, so you can give it a spin before you purchase.

One word of caution: backup your computer recording with an in-camera recording. If your computer crashed during record, and you had no backup, you'd have no record of the sermon at all.

What camera are you using? If it's tapeless, you may not need the hassle of the live capture.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]