FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 panel video installation

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trang Nguyen
3 panel video installation
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:32:36 pm

Hi,
i shot hd materials and edited into 3 films (each 20mins with sync points) in fcp. I want to project these 3 films onto 3 screens that are joined at straight angles with each other (kind of a room with 3 walls 3x2m2 each). In July i made them to 3 dvd-players (same model) with BNC and hundreds of cables to 3 back-projection screens (same model) and synced them by remote control. It worked but not perfect, plus I had a problem with the speaker positioning. The documentation is available here

I´d like to run it again with less equipment but better sync. Any ideas, advices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Trang

Return to posts index

Peter Emminger
Re: 3 panel video installation
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:24:37 pm

First, you say that you shot the video in HD but then put it on DVD and ran BNC cable (which is all standard def equipment). If your goal is to project it as shot then you need to make sure the entire signal path is HD.

For the playback device i would recomend you check out Playback Pro Plus - the Plus version allows for sync playback between machines.

http://dtvideolabs.com/PlaybackPro%20Plus.html

--
Peter Emminger
Project Manager & Technical Director
Yellow Light Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

Trang Nguyen
on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:49:22 am

I did it in July with school equipments and we have no blu-ray dvd players. I had to convert it to SD and was rather unhappy. Playback Pro requires pretty powerful Mac though. Would there be any more affordable solutions? I don't plan to run installation often. Thanx.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:46:09 pm

Playback Pro is great when you need live control, but for looping installations, I usually recommend something simpler and cheaper. Brightsign makes a line of digital video players which play video playlists off of SDHC cards and can be run in sync via Ethernet or GPIO triggers.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Trang Nguyen
on Nov 30, 2011 at 7:40:32 am

Thanx for your advice. But why would Brightsign cheaper than Playback Pro?

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Nov 30, 2011 at 1:23:07 pm

I'm not familiar with Playback Pro. I am familiar with Brightsign players. With Brightsign you have dedicated player for each screen. For synchronized playback one of the players is designated as the master and the others are slaves. As Walter pointed mentioned, you can sync 2 players with a simple ethernet cable or sync as many as you want with the addition of a simple network hub.

Playback Pro recommends a MacPro desktop for the controller (and playback?). I can't imagine a MacPro being less expensive than 3 digital signage players.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:57:24 am

Build a cheap PC, use a Matrox Triplehead 2 Go Graphics card with 3 DVI outputs to your projectors.

This will give the cheapest sync of your content at HD, but won't give you any options for mapping or edge-blending your projectors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]