FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI output from consumer devices to AV switcher concerns..NEED QUICK ANSWER

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Geary
HDMI output from consumer devices to AV switcher concerns..NEED QUICK ANSWER
on Nov 1, 2011 at 11:46:31 pm

I have a large production in Arizona next week. I recently was tasked to take demos fed through an AppleTV (of iPad2 Mirror mode) and also the output of a GoogleTV. Both are HDMI out, actually using HDMI to DVI cables. My tech Director is very concerned that the HDMI signal may get blocked due to HDCP. We are not playing encoded content but there still is a concern with the device "seeing" its connected to a switcher and not a TV.
Does anyone out there have Live Event experience with the above setup?
Thanks
Ken

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: HDMI output from consumer devices to AV switcher concerns..NEED QUICK ANSWER
on Nov 2, 2011 at 12:02:56 pm

We use a MacBookPro all the time with DVI to HDMI adapter and feed into an ATEM switcher. No problem.

Jim Brown
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

Bruce Wheaton
Re: HDMI output from consumer devices to AV switcher concerns..NEED QUICK ANSWER
on Nov 6, 2011 at 3:48:53 am

You're right to be concerned Ken. You definitely need to supply both the Google TV and AppleTV with EDIDs that don't have HDCP active.

But before then - run out and buy what you can and do tests! They should only be $100 or so each, way cheaper than any onsite fixes.

Bruce

Regards,

Bruce Wheaton
http://www.synchromeshDDR.com

Return to posts index

Peter Emminger
on Nov 17, 2011 at 2:53:17 pm

Yes, be very concerned.
I've had HDCP issues with the Apple TV (was using it to connect an ipad wireless).
I havent found Apple TV to be very consistent when connected to various HDCP compliant devices so I would test your exact scenario in advance. On a recent live event project our HDCP issue was actually caused by a DVI router that was not HDCP compliant.
Make sure that your test uses exactly the same setup as you'll for show - exactly the same equipment even if possible to avoid firmware differences.

good luck!

Return to posts index

Ken Geary
on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:23:08 am

Thank you. This brings me to my Part II post which I may as well do here. Part II, THE BAD
We had issues firstly getting Internet in ballroom, without paying $1500/day. Th hotel comped us 2 switched internet lines. But wireless would cost. We needed to take Internet feed and put on a router with hard line to Apple TV (and Google TV) and wireless from same router to iPad. Well after going back and forth, we found the cheapie switch i brought in didnt do what we needed so the hotel supplied one (and we lost 4 hrs setup time at this point).
Apple TV would not send HDMI to switcher, however the DVI Detective actually worked and tricked the ATV into thinking it was connected to a LCD monitor. All was good and fine until nite before show I see a "Apple TV Update Available" popup...I left it, did not select it, yet the next AM I couldnt get any network connection to the ATV, somehow, I think, it may of done a 1/2 update and stopped. So no iPad mirror mode for show.ugh. went to plan B (VGA out of iPad).
The Google TV was worse, blank screen when connected to switcher (from HDNI to DVI cable). I had a 2nd DVI Detective, NO GO. ugh. My AV Techs tried scalers, other switchers, DVI to fiber to projector direct, NOTHING. The Google TV will blank out on you unless you are connected to a TV or monitor, had nothing to do with content, we couldnt get past the boot screen, as soon as it went to menu it would blank out. So BEWARE of trying to use Google TV .

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]