FORUMS: list search recent posts

Theatrical event, multiple sources on four different projector outputs

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Igor Renzetti
Theatrical event, multiple sources on four different projector outputs
on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:31:58 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm about to do a show for theatres and I've to manage in realtime several video contents (all prerecorded, maybe a live camera on stage) to up to four digital projectors, every projector should be able to output independently content from the others.
I need a suggestion for the hardware needed for such challenge because I was wondering if a mac pro computer with 2 new display cards (each one up to three video outputs), 12 Gb ram, 8 cores at 2,4 ghz and modul8 software could be a good solution in terms of performance and money saving.
The other way possible in technical therms would be a whole hardware solution but for that i don't know wich kind of hardware I need to manage in real time.
Reading some posts here I suppose that an edirol v440 colud control several v44sw video switchers, but I'm not shure if there are other solutions less expesive in therms of hardware needs and money.
A fact is that I've to stay in a budget limit and renting those equipement also for over a month (all the preparation of the show and the playouts) could be very expensive.
Another question:
does anyone ever used those kind of projectors:
http://www.robe.cz/it/products/article/digitalspot-3500-dt/
http://www.highend.com/products/digital_lighting/dl_3.asp ? Does anyone knows how much could be the price for rent one of those?
Thank you very much, every help will be very appreciated
Igor

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Theatrical event, multiple sources on four different projector outputs
on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:58:10 pm

Igor, multiscreen display can get expensive pretty quickly. You've outlined a pretty low-cost solution, and I don't think you'll to lower that cost all that much. Don't forget that you will need two playback systems (one main and one backup). If you don't run a backup, a computer crash could ruin a performance.

If you need real video switching, I would highly recommend a dedicated multi-destination video switcher like a Spyder or Encore.

If you don't need live switching, and you are really pressed for money, you might be able to get away with a much simpler router to allow you to switch over from your main playback system to your backup playback system.

If you want to use a Mac Pro for playback, some other options you might consider are Figure53's Qlab and Renewed Vision's ProVideoPlayer.

DL.3s are essentially projectors on moving luminaires with a built-in media server; as such, they'd integrate very nicely into your show's lighting department. For rental prices, you should talk to your LD or contact a local staging rental company.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Igor Renzetti
Re: Theatrical event, multiple sources on four different projector outputs
on Oct 16, 2011 at 5:19:20 pm

Walter, many thanks for your answer this could be very useful.
You tell that I may run a main system in parallel with a backup system.
So for instance I could use 2 mac pros with every video output connected to a 2 channel switch and synch them via osc or other protocol, or ther is a much easier way?
I'm sorry but I've never used a backup system for a live performance and I don't know how I could manage it.
I think that qlab is very interesting for live application, I've to study a bit in it.
Thank you again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]