FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best device for long run museum exhibition of HD 180 24p video? Blu-ray, Brightsign, Mac Mini??

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stanya Kahn
Best device for long run museum exhibition of HD 180 24p video? Blu-ray, Brightsign, Mac Mini??
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:12:43 am

Please forgive me if I missed the answer in another thread. I have been researching this for days and keep getting different answers/solutions.
The piece was shot on Panasonic AG AF 100 at 1080p/24p, edited in ProRes 422 in FCP 7.3. Total run time is 5 min. Audio is stereo, no need for 5.1 (but I do make pieces with 5.1 and would like this capability in the future, so a media player that can do that is ideal.)

It needs to loop and play smoothly all day, 8 hours a day for 2 months at museum. Projection on large wall. Projector is ok I think, (Panasonic PT-LB 80 NTU projector with an HD Fury
2 1080P, an HDMI to VGA/ Component converter).

Thought we'd settled on a Brightsign HD210 or HD 810 (for the 5.1 pass through), but I read here it can't output 24p (frame rate of piece is 23.97). ??
Thought maybe Mac Mini with Quicktime Pro? Then read no 24p there either?

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm tired, long post-production days!

The museum has a blu-ray player. Do I just make a blu-ray disk? Seems less ideal than a strong media player.

What's optimal?

Thank you so much for any thoughts. In a bit of rush.
very best
Stanya

Return to posts index

Stanya Kahn
Re: Best device for long run museum exhibition of HD 180 24p video? Blu-ray, Brightsign, Mac Mini??
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:43:43 pm

Excuse TYPO in title! HD 1080 not 180...
thanks

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Best device for long run museum exhibition of HD 180 24p video? Blu-ray, Brightsign, Mac Mini??
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:48:26 pm

Can you set the projector refresh rate to a multiple of 24?

If it's stuck on 50 or 60 Hz, the issue of sending it a 24p signal may be moot.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Stanya Kahn
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:54:57 pm

Hi Walter
thanks so much for your response. I checked with Panasonic this morning and they said the projector can output 24p. They also said that the projector only does 720.

i spoke with Brightsign and they confirmed no go on 24p.

so it looks like i might have to make a blu-ray disk (the museum has a blu-ray player but no Mac Mini) and even still it won't project in full HD because the projector only does 720.
arrgh. If they get a 1080 projector, would my solution still be blu-ray versus Mac Mini?

Still trying to figure out if it's worth getting a mac mini or other hd media player... Any thoughts on the consumer level Western Digital HD Media Players?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Ken Geary
on Sep 9, 2011 at 12:51:50 am

Check out the viewsonic VOT 133 or media players.
We have been using 22+ units for 24/7 video loops of HD quicktime for trade shows.
The trick i found was to download the Media Player Classic, which will play QT .mov encoded H264 and will seamlessly loop.
Good luck

Ken

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 9, 2011 at 9:13:30 am

What about a bespoke-built PC server with a solid state hard drive?

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:57:37 am

http://www.alcorn.com/products/dvm/

think this is a pretty pricey option, but a good one. Seem to remember a colleague saying that they used it with various frame rates...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]