FORUMS: list search recent posts

Watchout 5

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray kiVinski
Watchout 5
on Aug 18, 2011 at 10:19:47 pm

Hi

Haven't been using Watchout in awhile. Recently saw that 5.0 may change that. Am I correct in assuming that you can now run Keynote or Powerpoint directly through it? What about I-Mag?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Watchout 5
on Aug 19, 2011 at 2:48:23 pm

WATCHOUT has supported external video (including IMAG and computer graphics) through capture cards in the display PCs, as well as computer graphics via VNC over the network, since version 2.

Version 5 adds the Dynamic Image Server, which I suppose could be used for a series of static slides.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Ray kiVinski
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:28:53 pm

Hi Walter

Last version I worked on was Version 3.5 and even with (at that time) the highest end graphic cards recommended by Dataton, I-Mag had sync issues and VNC "painted" the slides on the screen. No client was ever satisfied with these results and the workaround we found were fairly pricey. Was hoping that Version 5 would have resolved these issues. Probably being too optimistic here.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 19, 2011 at 3:43:48 pm

[Ray kiVinski] "Last version I worked on was Version 3.5 and even with (at that time) the highest end graphic cards recommended by Dataton, I-Mag had sync issues and VNC "painted" the slides on the screen. No client was ever satisfied with these results and the workaround we found were fairly pricey. Was hoping that Version 5 would have resolved these issues. Probably being too optimistic here."

I share your distaste for graphics over VNC. IMAG PIPs add some processing time on any system, so it's important to add audio delay. In my experience, though, you're right that WATCHOUT does add more video delay for live video than a Spyder or Encore.

Personally, I don't like WATCHOUT to be the last element in the signal chain, responsible for graphics and live video. I prefer to feed WATCHOUT for graphics and video to a Spyder or Encore, and let the switcher handle the PIPs.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Matt Geiser
on Aug 22, 2011 at 12:59:30 am

As the owner of several Spyder systems I want to whole heartedly endorse Walters position!

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Aug 23, 2011 at 9:25:10 pm

We use Barco Screenpros or Presentation Pros attached to the Watchout outputs to handle PIP, this only gives us 1 frame of delay.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Server w. X-Raid

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 24, 2011 at 3:42:24 pm

Another benefit to using a Barco or Vista system for PIPs is that you can get proper PGM/PVW busses, and move your IMAG or PPT on/off cues out of WATCHOUT's timeline, aux timeline, or standby layers.

I find that while the timeline works well for content or totally canned shows, Encore or Spyder presets work better for routing, switching, and screen arrangement in the context of a live show.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]