FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projection mapping on spandex hard set

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Geary
Projection mapping on spandex hard set
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:39:51 pm

Hello all again,
I'm now exploring a new way to display imagery on hardsets for live corporate events. I saw some videos on youtube of a "VJ" software that distorts images and video to align perfectly along edges/sides of geometric spandex set pieces. Very cool, starts with light tracing outline of the shapes on stage then fills with light/syncs to music and even can use video such as water filling in a water tank effect/fire/etc. All from one projector. I found a program called MadMapper, which looks perfect for the job but its Mac only. Has anyone used this software? is it steep learning curve?, is setup complex when setting up at event and tweaking projection?
Is the a good Windows equivalent software out there?
Ken

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: Projection mapping on spandex hard set
on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:41:09 pm

Plenty. For starters, in terms of cost:
- vvvv
- Video Projection Tool
- WarpMap
(above 3 are freeware)
- Text Machine 3D (evaluate for stability)
- Resolume with the IR Mapio plug-in
- Dataton Watchout version 5 (with its max 6-output capabilities per Display machine and warping available for each output)
- AvStumpfl Wings Platinum 4 (with max 4 outputs per machine and warp available for each output)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:13:42 am

Thomas has given you some good options from a graphics/video perspective.

You might also consider scenic content from a lighting perspective, in which case you might use a media server with image warping that can be controlled from the lighting desk.

You can also rent dedicated geometry correction image processors.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Jul 15, 2011 at 9:39:45 am

Not sure what your budget for production is and how long the installation has to last for but....

Some of the guys who worked at Electrosonic in the UK started up a firm that is selling some really interesting hardware. The firm is called Wotbox and one of the products is a solid state video store that is networkable and has in-built edge blending capabilities.

Other than that, I would recommend stumpfl and watchout!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]