FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting concert dress rehearsal and performance

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli Wieczorek
Shooting concert dress rehearsal and performance
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:52:21 am

Hi

I have a drum ensemble concert that I will be shooting with multiple cameras. We want to have nice coverage with cameras on stage, including a steady cam. However, the theater is small and intimate and it is a one time performance, so we can not do this during the performance. We have opted to split the shoot into two nights. Shooting all our Mediums and CU's and Steady shots during rehearsal and shooting the wides the night of the performance.

Now the problem. How do we make sure we get the audio and video all synced well, with two different performances. I suggested we use 80% footage from the M&CU's shot during rehearsal with another company recording the audio. We then do not bring in the audio company for the performance and shoot the wides. I think we should be able to match pieces of the wide shots with the recording of the previous night because any small differences wouldn't be as noticed from a wide angle.
Someone else suggest that I have to have the audio recorded for both nights and then cut between the synced audio and video from each night. This seems problematic because now I have to seamlessly edit both video and audio.

Some factors: It would cost more to have the audio recorded two nights. I can use up to three cameras for each shoot. All cameras would shoot one long take (except steady cam) and we will be using software to sync each camera angle to the audio.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

Eli

Return to posts index

Marc Smith
Re: Shooting concert dress rehearsal and performance
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:11:50 pm

Eli,

I've done similar work and I would choose one of the two nights as your 'audio' track.

My guess is that you are selling this perfomance to parents of the ensemble, so the close up shots are *paramount*. With a drum ensemble, face closeups shouldn't be an issue with 'synching' the audio and video, as you won't see the stick work.

I've done work where I used one audio bed and blended video from other parts of a show throughout the whole video, the idea being you want to HEAR the performance and see a good representation of the visuals.

If I had a choice, I would record (audio) the performance rather than the rehearsal, get the wide (establishing) shots at that same performance. Do the close up, b-roll (like stick work, pans, backstage and other stock) at the rehearsal.

Lay the audio and video from the performance shoot as the main track, use the rehearsal footage in edits.

That would be *my* preference, your mileage may vary.

- Marc

Return to posts index

Eli Wieczorek
on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:08:37 pm

Marc

Thanks for the reply. The concert is a professional ensemble. I agree with you that I should use one audio track. The performance audio would be preferable, but won't it be difficult to match close ups of percussion instruments if the audio track comes from a different night? It seems like it would be a sync nightmare.

Is their any advantage to recording audio both nights?

Eli

Return to posts index

Marc Smith
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:19:45 pm

There is always an advantage to recording both nights audio.

A lot depends on what you want the finished product to be. If you record audio both nights, you could segue from one number on one night to one from the other night.

You're right, the biggest issue is syncing. Unless the ensemble is playing to a 'click track', the possibility that one song is fast or slower from one night to the next, is very high. That said, if it is a pro ensemble, the chances are that the tempo are going to be very close. You will probably find that you can match and mix video from both nights.

I use a video or audio cue, such as the intro cout, a lighting cue or some other visual/audio 'slate' to sync the footage. I can then get to the end of the video segments and selectively time stretch the video that needs to line up.

Likewise, you can layer the close ups, audience shots, etc .

And there is no rule that says you can't create cool slo-mo segments to put in to show the precision of the stick work being done.

- Marc

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 16, 2011 at 6:35:32 pm

[Eli Wieczorek] "Any thoughts on how to make this work?"

In addition to Marc's suggestions, you might want to work with the performers and the house sound person and build some click tracks that you can send the performers on their monitors.
Before the beginning of each song, they get a 5 second or so click track at the proper tempo. This might help with slight tempo deviations between the two nights.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]