FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiview / Splitscreen of 8 live cameras

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erich Krieg
Multiview / Splitscreen of 8 live cameras
on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:49:31 pm

For a theater production I am looking for a setup with which I can output eight video live streams (webcams or SD Pal video camera) with a projector as one multi-view splitscreen image in real time. It would be important that the layout of the output image can be designed as free as possible (size and position of each image), because sometimes also only 4 or 2 streams are to be seen. In addition, there should be the possibility to combine live streams with pre-produced video streams. To make the whole thing even more complicated, there should also be the possibility to embed live videos into a pre-produced background (eg: you can see a screencaptured video of a video streaming website like Youtube, the mouse-clicks on the video window and there then the live stream of one of the eight will live-cameras appears).

I've researched a bit. First I wanted to work with the Roland mvs-12, but I think it is still too inflexible for what I need. Now I'm trying to figure out whether there is a software / hardware & software solution. I've very little experience in programming (Arduino / Processing), but I'am definitely interested in possible solutions such as Max / Jitter, VVVV or similar. With live-mixing programs like Modul8, Isadora, Arkaos, VJamm or similar I have not worked so far. Again, I am absolutely open, but could not yet find out whether any of these programs can work with 8 live Sstreams and what hardware requirements would be needed for it.

If anyone of you has experience with such or similar setup, knows any hardware, software or hardware & software solution I would be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance - Eric

Return to posts index

Phil Senger
Re: Multiview / Splitscreen of 8 live cameras
on Jul 13, 2011 at 9:56:09 pm

Not sure if this will do it, but worth a look:
http://www.rossvideo.com/production-switchers/carbonite/index.html

Phil Senger

SW Audio+Visual
Vancouver, BC
http://www.sw-online.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 13, 2011 at 10:05:26 pm

You're asking for quite a lot from a single system. I'd look to rent a Vista Systems Spyder or Barco Encore system and hire an operator. This number of sources may also require some serious routing and playback firepower.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:21:36 am

Interesting. You seem to have 3 major requirements -
1. Capture and stream 1-8 live video streams + play canned files + access an URL like You-tube.
2. Output that to one ouput (projector) in various user-defined configurations/sizes, and
3. Be able to switch to any configuration.

Is the above correct? Let me think about it, and try on my Dataton 5 and AvStumpfl Wings 4 systems. However, I only have a video capture card that has 1 input, not even 2 let alone 8, but I know I can do multiples of that single input and output those to various user-defined configurations, and switch configurations via a virtual switcher.

However, it is the number of switching buttons required to cater to various configurations that are over-whelming me. Who's good at maths to work out the number of possible combinations? Is it 8! (factorial 8)?

Return to posts index

Alex Horvath
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:32:37 pm

The alignement of windows in position and size with most multiviewers like Miranda is programmable with presets, some of them have an optional genlock.
i.e. you use an MV with 8 inputs. Give them inputs via 1 or 2 Videomixer like GrassValleys Indigo. Indigo has 5 different output possibilities.
Aux 1,2,3, PRV, PGM. The advantage from Indigo is, that every setting can be stored and switched by a dedicated button via touchcreen. So all routings like CAM 1 to Aux3, DVD to Prv, Computer to PGM and so on...happens simultanesouly. (As I remeber correcttly there are 99 Settings available.)
manually "trigger" between Multiviewer and Mixer shouldn´t be a big problem with such an Information overload :-)
You get the Idea?

good luck
alex

tv multimedia and special events

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:29:21 pm

I'm thinking AvStumpfl's Wings Platinum 4 Mutlidisplay version with the ISEO controller program for accessing web urls on the fly plus 2 units of Viewcast's Osprey 440 capture cards may provide the solution for multiple live video inputs and live access to the web, pre-determined variable positioning, sizing and configuration of input combinations to various output looks, almost unlimited number of programmable virtual triggers/buttons to call each configuration, and virtual Control Panel pages to 'house' the buttons for easy playback control, with perhaps a simple diagram illustrating what each config looks like beside each trigger/button.

The demo downloads for Wings and ISEO should be able to illustrate most of the above.

Return to posts index

Erik iversen
on Jul 21, 2011 at 6:55:26 pm

As it looks like you are talking live cameras in the mix, I would recommend the Barco Encore system. It has very low delay for processing so your audio and video will stay in sync. There are many AV rental companies that can help you spec out the system. Is this for a single event or a long run? What theatre are you in?

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Jul 22, 2011 at 3:16:00 am

For our information here, the original poster has also posted the same question at another forum, and seems to have been working on a solution since -
http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=36883

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]