FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding Film Filter for Live Event

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Ravens
Adding Film Filter for Live Event
on May 31, 2011 at 11:00:40 pm

I am doing a live event and the client wants the live video to have a film look to it. I'm using the Tricaster, which I'm pretty sure won't do it, so I will have to put the switched video through something else to add the filter before it goes live. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Adding Film Filter for Live Event
on Jun 2, 2011 at 6:23:10 pm

This sounds like a tough one. A company called Cinnafilm announced a real-time "film look" box a few NABs ago, but I haven't heard anything about it since, and I don't know if it ever saw production.

What exactly does "film look" mean to your clients? Can you achieve it with lighting and in-camera effects?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jared Ravens
on Jun 3, 2011 at 2:15:39 am

The clients wants an artistic, scratchy look with funky colors. Something you might do with Magic Bullet if you were doing it in post. You can get part of the way by painting the cameras but not all of the way.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 3, 2011 at 12:45:16 pm

[Jared Ravens] "The clients wants an artistic, scratchy look with funky colors. Something you might do with Magic Bullet if you were doing it in post. You can get part of the way by painting the cameras but not all of the way."

Could you creating a looping video with film artifacts (grain, scratches, light leaks, etc.) and key it in over your switched camera feed?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jared Ravens
on Jun 3, 2011 at 4:17:56 pm

That's not a bad idea. That's probably what I'll end up having to do. Thanks for the suggestion!

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Jun 14, 2011 at 1:44:20 pm

Have you considered something like grand-VJ - it can do live insertion of effects - I am sure they have something like the effect you are looking for in their library...

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 15, 2011 at 9:19:56 pm

You store a loop in one of the virtual DDR's anad key it over the live shot. get the material from artbeats or similar footage library, or if you have an NLE system, use magic bullet or Nattress film looks to create a plain loop with this effect, ready for keying. Lay that off and store a copy in the toaster's DDR. Though I'm surprised if the Toaster lacks this as a built-in effect, since they all used to have this effect in them somewhere, complete with chroma control, variable gate weave, and dust/hair/scratch levels.

Return to posts index

Jared Ravens
on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:04:50 pm

I'll either do that or the Grand VJ, it's kind of up to the client. The loop would work but of course then you take up an overlay you can use for something else. So it's up to the client if he needs that overlay for something else or wants to take the effort and money to run it through Grand VJ.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jared

Return to posts index

Lance Maurer
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:02:07 am

Hi - thanks for remembering, yes we did have a box, we called it HD1, and yes we are still around but now we only do software. The degrain and film simulation were so good that the next year we signed an OEM with ARRI to release it as ARRI Relativity. We are no longer exclusive with them so we now sell our ever-improving software as "Dark Energy". http://www.cinnafilm.com. It has terrific film grain, I think it is best on market, but of course I think that I'm the CEO - seeing is believing.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:00:46 am

Thanks for clarifying, Lance. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Relativity, and I just read a nice article about your HDSLR work with Shane Hurlbut [link]. Best of luck with Dark Energy.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]