FORUMS: list search recent posts

multiple HD display / projection project

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bart stevens
multiple HD display / projection project
on May 26, 2011 at 8:39:10 pm

I'm creating a multiple HD display project. The goal is to use the multiple displays as one massive canvas.
I have a massive comp - 22000 wide by 6000 tall - that contains all of my HD displays in scale. I need pixel accuracy so I'm working from my smallest HD display size. It's at 1920x1080 larger (physical displays are greater resolution and then scaled down).
My main effect is a "light streak" created with Trapcode Particular.
I animate the emitter across all displays in this comp.
Obviously I cannot expect a realistic render at that comp size, so I've placed multiple 1920x1080 solids in the comp and render only the area I need for that display. This works fine if I:
A) generate a camera with the same X / Y settings of the solid or,
B) I use the transform world setting in Particular
This works only if my transformations are in X and Y space, as soon as I introduce any movement in Z, my compositions lose alignment.
I figure this problem occurs because of my camera and it's field of view, but I'm not sure how to solve this.
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
Re: multiple HD display / projection project
on May 27, 2011 at 12:30:43 pm

[bart stevens] "The goal is to use the multiple displays as one massive canvas.
I have a massive comp - 22000 wide by 6000 tall - that contains all of my HD displays in scale."

When I take on a multiscreen project I start at the end and work backwards. What does the client want in terms of display size? Once there's a rough assessment of what the client wants, the number of screens and the playback method is determined. If the client hasn't already been scared off by the price then I'll start planning the content creation.

How did you arrive at 22,000 x 6000 pixels for a comp size ?

Using a 42" 1920 x 1080 display as a baseline building block, your wall would be wider than the massive wall at McCarron airport in Las Vegas. The largest video wall in the U.S.

Again, stepping back from content creation for a moment - what is the size of the finished video wall?

What are your plans for playing back and syncing the content?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: multiple HD display / projection project
on May 27, 2011 at 2:12:19 pm

Gary's advice is all spot-on for anyone considering a multi-screen project.

I know from another post a couple weeks ago that Bart has been working on this project for some time, has thought a lot of this through, and already has a good playback solution in place.

If I'm reading his post correctly, he has several different displays with different pixel densities, and is trying to work from the highest resolution for the densest displays (to stay 1:1 there), and will scale the other displays appropriately -- hence he has a much higher-res canvas than would ordinarily be expected.

Bart has cross-posted this thread on the After Effects forum:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1001029

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]