FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controlling Multiple Projectors

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Rupert
Controlling Multiple Projectors
on May 5, 2011 at 2:50:54 pm

I have been tasked with setting up a system for a theatrical production in which a live feed from a camera will be used along with prerecorded video played back from a computer. Right now I plan to run both the camera feed and the playback through an Edirol v-4 switcher. The director is hoping to be able to project the video using three projectors. At times during the performance he wants the same video played on all three projectors and at others he would like to have only one projector in use. Is this set-up possible with the Edirol V-4?

Any other suggestions you had would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Phil Senger
Re: Controlling Multiple Projectors
on May 5, 2011 at 6:14:23 pm

No. I believe the V4 only has one output (OK, it has 3 outputs but they are all the same signal). In situations like this I usually add additional switchers. In an ideal world, every projector gets a graphic switcher, then by splitting the signal from the V4 you could put whatever image you like on any or all screens. You could get away with doing the same thing with an active "bang box", but you might (will) get a glitch during the switch.

Phil Senger

SW Audio+Visual
Vancouver, BC
http://www.sw-online.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on May 6, 2011 at 7:34:53 am

I agree with Phil.

As long as you do not have to span one source across 2 or 3 projectors, I think a Matrix switcher should do the trick. Look for a 4x4 or 8x4 or 8x8 Matrix Switcher, perhaps from Kramer or Extron (the latter being more expensive).

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 6, 2011 at 10:24:06 am

[Kyle Rupert] "The director is hoping to be able to project the video using three projectors. At times during the performance he wants the same video played on all three projectors and at others he would like to have only one projector in use. Is this set-up possible with the Edirol V-4?"

What's supposed to happen to the other two projectors when only one is in use?

If they are supposed to go blank, you can stick with a single-channel video switcher and use projector dowsers (also spelled dousers), controlled like a lighting instrument by DMX, to blank the screens.

If they are supposed to show other content, then you should either consider a multi-destination switcher or some of the other switching or routing options mentioned above.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]