FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync two cameras

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Sepulveda
Sync two cameras
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:50:35 pm

Hi, hope someone can help me. I’m producing a TV show for South America, I am not a very experienced producer in the technical stuff. I bought two Sony PMW-EX1R, which I use to record interviews for the show. I am having a lot of trouble trying to get the same colors and exposure on both cameras. I balance whites with the same target, and set the cameras both with the same settings, but the image is still very different. Is there any way (maybe with a cable) that I can sync the cameras to obtain near the same image? And maybe it possible start recording at the same time so editing is easier?

Thank you and sorry for my ignorance

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Sync two cameras
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:57:42 pm

[Daniel Sepulveda] "I am having a lot of trouble trying to get the same colors and exposure on both cameras. I balance whites with the same target, and set the cameras both with the same settings, but the image is still very different. Is there any way (maybe with a cable) that I can sync the cameras to obtain near the same image?"

It takes a lot of engineering to get studio cameras to match perfectly -- and these are not studio cameras.

Since the two cameras likely have different perspectives on the subject, the same camera settings may not give you comparable images. I imagine that your white balance is consistent, but the exposure varies. Waveform monitors will help you expose properly and consistently.

[Daniel Sepulveda] "And maybe it possible start recording at the same time so editing is easier?"

If you're doing post-production on this show anyway, you might be able to get the cameras close in the field, and then do some final color correction to get a perfect match.

If your cameras have a TC IN connector, you can use a timecode generator to sync them. If not, you can sync them manually with a slate, hand clap, or flash. You could also use PluralEyes [link], which is software that syncs audio and video files together based on their audio tracks.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]